Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

First buck using a decoy

S

stoner

Started using my new buck decoy on Monday November 1st, windy, cold, and raining. Bad news was I missed a +140" class 8 pointer the first day out at 2:50 PM. He came in down wind, fast, and with one thing on his mind. I had to lean way out on my stand to shoot and ended up hitting a tree limb. Clean miss, which I was glad about. The next day I set up on a seperate scrape line and grunted in a nice 120" class 8 pointer following a doe at 3:00 PM. He was a good management buck so I decided to take him. Besides, it was my first over a decoy. He circled downwind and gave me a perfect double lung shot at 18 yards. Watched him drop 40 yards from my stand. Two bucks in on two seprate days, I'm sold, what a rush.

You cannot beat hunting over a decoy. I've shot my past 2 bucks over a doe decoy. You can bet when I head out Saturday that decoy will be under my arm. It's a shame you missed the big boy, but when it happens-it happens fast with a decoy. Congrats on your buck and thanks for sharing.

Congrats,sounds like you had some exciting hunts with the decoy.
waytogo.gif

I had my decoy set up as a buck, antlers on, ears back. Both bucks came sneaking in ears back and grunting. I was using Prime Time 2 drop on the decoy along with an estrus doe sent wick.

Decoys sure work great. I have never had a big boy come close to one but them small bucks really think they are tough around them.

Top Bottom