Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

First Buck!!

Woody21

PMA Member
Had a great weekend in southern Iowa. I caught on camera my friend Frank harvest a doe on Saturday night. Our goal was to get Frank his first buck however. Well no shooter bucks showed up on satuday so we decided to take a "long nose" out of the herd
grin.gif
Sunday morn found us in a very promising area. We put the stand up on Saturday and decided not to try and film. We would hunt about 60 yards apart. I wanted to be able to cover a couple of the trails headed to their bedding area, not to mention I was running back up for Frank. My goal was to send as many does as I could to bed with s muzzy tipped piece of carbon, but not ruin Franks chance at a buck. A little after 7am I spotted a couple of bucks headed west.... They were about 300yds out. They were going to cicle west of us and around our set up. I could tell the lead buck was a mature animal, but I couldnt quite see exactly what he was. I tried to get video of him but he got around the point of a draw before I got any good footage of him. Then i thought to myself..... hey I got nothing to lose. I picked up my rattling antlers and started to crash them together... 10 seconds later the buck rounds the corner headed right at me on a dead run. I get some video of him coming in. he was walking now and very commited. I could tell, he was going to do it! Just then, like they always do. he started to circle out around me trying to get down wind of me. He ran right in to my buddy Frank who was 60 yards east of me. Quatering at him he smoked him at 30 yds. 230#'s 142" gross 8 pt. Not too bad for a First Buck!

Good hunting and be Safe

Woody
727earlyML_04_018-med.jpg
727earlyML_04_001-med.jpg

That's so cool, Woody! A big congratulations for Frank on getting such a nice buck for his first one! Glad you could be there with him and get it on video.

One heck of a first buck. Frank is very lucky to have such a dedicated friend like you. Congrats to both of you.

Brent

Great story and great buck for Frank. Way to go in rattling him into shooting range, that makes for an awesome story.

I guess it is safe to say, it might be worthwhile to start carrying the horns out in the woods, congrats to both of you on a great and memorable hunt
smile.gif

man, can you imagine the neck on that sucker in the prime of the rut?? it's HUGE now!!

congrats on a great weekend.

Woody,

Good story, I enjoyed it, Congratulations to you guys, Tell Frank that is a very good buck.

Now it's your turn.
grin.gif

Top Bottom