Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

First muzzleloader, need advice

Rauk42

So I'm going to be buying my first muzzleloader here within the next month. I'm looking at the thompson centers and just dont know what one I want to buy? Any advice that anyone has would be great, thanks abunch!

I've partial to the Encore. I've shot the Pro Hunter and it was a good gun but I didn't see the need for the extra $. I've also shot the Triumph and I didn't care for it as much as our original Encore. The trigger and accuracy on that Encore is awesome!

I'd HIGHLY recommend Barnes bullets and Black Horn 209 powder! Very very great combination!

Kind of a ford chevy or dodge thing!!! Alot of options out there, pick one that suits you and have fun!!!

I like my Knights and drive a Chevy lol

Skip the Thompsons and buy a CVA Accura V2. It has more and better features than the most expensive thompson out there for about 400 bones less. :)

i bought the cva accura and love it... camo, stainless and thumb hole stock...not to mention its very accurate! good luck.

Something with a speed breach system. Got a triumph this last year with one and will NEVER go back. Those things are slick. ALSO, to improve accuracy, make sure you shoot a muzzleloader specific 209. A shotgun 209 will burn too hot and cause for inconsistant groups, since switching to the muzzy 209's (T7 to be exact) my groups have gotten an 1" or 2" tighter at all ranges with 2 pellets of T7 Magnums, pushing a 300 gr. Barnes MZ

Everyone has their own opinions, so here's mine.
I would never buy anything but a TC muzzleloader. They're all I've ever shot in my 20+ years of muzzleloading and I absolutely love them.
I personally don't think you need to spend the extra money on the Encore unless you're going to be switching out the barrels to other calibers, etc.

I've got an Omega- it's a work-horse of a gun & I love it!
There's only 2 things I would do different from what I've got now (synthetic stock with blued barrel & a standard Leupold 3x9 scope)- I would really like the gun to be all camo & I think the scopes that have the reticle that allows you to hold dead on at different ranges would be awesome.

My daughter is getting to the age where I want to get her started in muzzleloading so I think I'm going to shorten the stock on the one I've got and get the scope that's on that gun zeroed in for light loads.
When I do that, I'm going to upgrade to what I want.
Good luck!

I have had the omega for a number of years and once you find the load it likes (250 shockwave with 100 grains of 777) it is dead on. I have the stainless steel barrel with the thumbhole stock with a DOA 3 x 9 scope and have no plans to change. Not sure where you live but if it was close I have other bullets I'd let you try out to try to find the combo your gun likes.

Thanks for all the info guys, has anyone heard anthing of shot the TC Impact? Thinking of going to Cabelas Saturday and maybe/hopefully finding the right one for me.

I like my Triumph. whatever you get- make sure it's stainless or weatherguard IMO. I shoot tiny groups with 150 grains and it has a very flat trajectory and awesome stopping power & I can shoot that bugger way out there if I needed to.

Thanks for all the info guys, has anyone heard anthing of shot the TC Impact? Thinking of going to Cabelas Saturday and maybe/hopefully finding the right one for me.
I am looking at one for my 10 yo son. It is a great price for an entry level gun and has an adjustable stock that is great for growning kids. I think the gun is to short for a guy but perfect for a kid or women at around $250.

Last edited:
I am looking at one for my 10 yo son. It is a great price for an entry level gun and has an adjustable stock that is great for growning kids. I think the gun is to short for a guy but perfect for a kid or women at around $250.
$250 for a kids gun is plenty in my eyes. You'll never get close to your money back, and they'll out grow it really fast. If you have several children that might use this gun; it might be worth it.

$250 for a kids gun is plenty in my eyes. You'll never get close to your money back, and they'll out grow it really fast. If you have several children that might use this gun; it might be worth it.

TC's tend to hold good value.

I have the Encore and love it.

Top Bottom