Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

First Timber Fire!

Meyer30

I took advantage of gorgeous weather and decided to give a prescribed timber fire a try today. Worked on a south facing slope with a ton of white, burr, and red oaks that I did TSI on 4 years ago. Totally wore out but looking very excited to see how this area responds!
PXL_20230325_201303149.jpg

PXL_20230325_214348014.jpg

PXL_20230325_212853913.jpg

Im not going to start a new thread to purposefully embarrass myself. Im going to SNEAK IT IN!!! Right here!!!!!!!
I always told everyone “I was the kid that burnt down neighbors pine trees. Or started fields on fire”. Just never went well. PTSD!!!!

Tried it one time. Took me 60+ minutes to get the leaves in timber to burn for more than a minute. Finally got a little pocket going. Did have help. Well….. somehow an ember jumped a 30’++ gap of green clovers & caught CRP field on fire. Roaring huge fire.

My trail cam caught a tiny shred of it. Only evidence of my embarrassment is right HERE. I will come back & delete this post someday but I did post it! ;).

AAAC140B-1144-4269-9EEA-BC68E404B352.jpeg

Op,
Not sure when your normal greenup is up that way but that burn will green up earlier than normal. All of the critters will enjoy the new browse that comes from that fire. Turkeys also.

Does anyone have experience with how quickly leaves would dry out in the timber this time of year? The property got about an inch of rain yesterday and we were planning to burn Monday afternoon. It's really windy today and warm and windy tomorrow. Do you think it'll burn on Monday or will we need to wait longer?

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

Does anyone have experience with how quickly leaves would dry out in the timber this time of year? The property got about an inch of rain yesterday and we were planning to burn Monday afternoon. It's really windy today and warm and windy tomorrow. Do you think it'll burn on Monday or will we need to wait longer?

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
Sun is a huge factor. South slopes will probably go. I would question the others.

Top Bottom