Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

First Time Broadcasting Soybeans

HunterB

I made my first attempt at a soybean plot this year. On the June 11th I broadcasted 50lbs of Eagle Seed Wildlife Mangers mix on my roughly half acre plot. We have had maybe a few tenths of rain since planting. Nothing has germinated yet. I’m starting to think this plot may be turning into a brassica plot this year….
IMG_1210.jpeg

IMG_1212.jpeg

IMG_1213.jpeg

I pulled a harrow section over the plot a few times to try and work them in the best I could. It covered a majority of them, but there was still a few sitting on top after that.

well heres the down side...all the ones that are on top are done for...if you are going to broadcast beans you need to either disk or rototill them in and get them covered. The only time broadcasting works is when you get adequate rain and well..........not this year pal

Agree. It’s a gamble. Drought year- ya, lot of gambles go bad. That’s the game. If u wanted to- u could drill in or work in more beans yet. But like stated - u will be set up nice for brassicas, rye mix, etc. That’s the beauty of plots…. Always back up plans.

I know it won’t work for this year, but I broadcast beans for the first time this year too and am currently looking at a pretty nice stand. A few differences I can see are that I worked my ground quite a bit more before broadcasting and I did it on May 19th. I disked right before I broadcast leaving nice furrows. After broadcasting I drug a hog panel with a piece of pipe on it covering all the beans that were in the furrows nicely. A few were showing, but not a huge %. I had more soil moisture planting early like I did. It has gotten far drier since then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s always a learning experience that’s for sure! Definitely going to try and get them in earlier next year. We’ll see what happens in the next month. If we get some rain and I get a few beans to pop up, great! If not, on to plan b.

I tried a few times broadcasting them in small plots.
With real good rains, they did "ok".
However, strong winds seemed to rip them up badly.

I had a similar experience last year. I got them in a little late and it got very very dry. I even tried putting some in with a garden seeder, the few that came up got eaten very quickly. I switched up to clover this spring and I’m still struggling mightily due to a very intense drought. I’m new to all this food plot stuff so it’s been quite an education. The only thing I have doing any good is 2 year old frost seeded clover that is well shaded.

Next year try and get them in a few weeks sooner. Work the soil up with a tiller if at all possible. Then broadcast beans into loose soil. Then cultipack them beans down with anything you have handy. Loose soil is the key. Don't broadcast beans on a hard surface soil.
I did chisel plow and disc the plot so the soil was relatively loose. It wasn’t perfect, but was loose. Still had a bit of residue on top unfortunately. Next year I’m going to shoot for earlier for sure. Looks like there is a decent chance for some rain tomorrow so we’ll see what happens!

Next year try and get them in a few weeks sooner. Work the soil up with a tiller if at all possible. Then broadcast beans into loose soil. Then cultipack them beans down with anything you have handy. Loose soil is the key. Don't broadcast beans on a hard surface soil.

I am far from an expert, but the agronomist cautioned me against cultipacking. He said soybeans are sensitive to crusting and a cultipacker may not help in that regard. But I think the takeaway is rain makes everything better no matter what.

I am far from an expert, but the agronomist cautioned me against cultipacking. He said soybeans are sensitive to crusting and a cultipacker may not help in that regard. But I think the takeaway is rain makes everything better no matter what.

Skeptical about that?
MANY farmers here roll their beans after planting.

After finally getting some rain I have some beans growing! We got almost 2” of rain on June 24th. Got just under a half inch last night. I took this picture yesterday morning. Keep the rains coming!
IMG_1245.jpeg

Top Bottom