Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

First Time Food Plot

My parents live on an acreage that has a wooded creek that has been grazed for quite some time by the neighbor's cattle. Last year they quit grazing their cattle here and it was the perfect time to put the bug in my parents' ears that we should put a food plot in here. The creek isn't necessarily the best deer habitat but it is a pretty good travel corridor between two blocks of woods. I figured putting in some food couldn't be the worst thing in the world.

Fast forward to this year, when my step dad began asking when we were gonna put the food plot in. I told him we would wait till July because I had anticipated the DBL tree mix.

He brush hogged an area much bigger than I originally thought he would.

v2xr89.jpg

We had planted a mixture of trees to thicken this area up, and he tilled in between the trees as well. Perfect place for the clover as a part of the dbl tree mix (definitely more than the recommended 10%).

I was out at my in-laws place and found a 4ft. cultipacker in the grove and knew I would put it to use.

2zzj3u0.jpg

Here's our final Product

In Between the Trees
289bo0y.jpg

Main Plot
16blcgp.jpg

We'll wait until Sept for the Cereal Grain half

Hopefully there will be some deer killed out of this stand!! :) :)
nz53jd.jpg

Looks like a great start! Get out and do your rain dance and you'll be in business come fall!!

NWBuck

They have already taken a whoopin before any food was here, only time will tell their fate...

You could try hanging a little bar of "hotel/motel" size perfumed soap on each of them. Unwrapped soap can be purchased in bulk online for pretty cheap. Drill a little hole in it & use a cable tie to attach to a branch. It has helped our tree survival a lot.

Holy cow man where are you at that you can even get in the field?? Those are going to be some sweeeeeet spots!

Top Bottom