Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

First week of Turkey hunting with pictures

marco

I turkey hunted 1st season in iowa with no luck. It was very frustrating, I heard very little gobbeling and only saw a few hens. I think it was a little early in my area and I think numbers are down a bit. We were planning on going to South Dakota over the weekend to hunt merriams and they ended up getting a foot of snow on Thursday night! Friday morning we decided to change plans and head to Kansas at the last minute. We got down there at around 3PM it was cold and raining, we were wondering what the heck we were doing down there but headed out anyway in the rain. It was a muddy mess but we got our blind set up and waited. Ended up having 15 turkeys come out about a 100 yards away but none were interested in our calls or decoys. Finally at around 7PM 3 jakes broke away and came into our spread. This was enough to pull a curious strutter over and I closed the deal on my biggest turkey ever! He weighed 25 lbs had a 10.25 inch beard and 1.25 and 1and 3/8 inch spurs.

2866-dead_tom_in_spread.jpg

Here he is dead in the spread.

2866-big_ks_turk.jpg

2866-10.25in.jpg

2866-1.25inch.jpg

2866-inthreeeiths.jpg

The next day we went back to the same spot in the morning. It was cold and windy. Didn't see a bird. We took a break at 11AM and went and got something to eat. At around 1PM the sun came out and the wind died down and it ended up being a perfect afternoon. We got back out and set up in a different area by 2PM. At 2:15 we had three jakes come in and we're feeling pretty good about our chances. I called a little and boom gobbeling about 100 yards away. 3 toms ended up coming out at 80 yards and put on a show coming into b-mobile. My buddy shot first and smoked the closest tom. I followed up with the second and he just missed getting a triple! Needless to say we were excited. We got our birds and his ended up being a double beard and mine had 4 beards! Later on when I butchered him he actually ended up having 5 beards, I've never seen anything like it. After we calmed down a bit we realized it was only 3PM so we jumped back in the blind. After 30 minutes I called again and boom gobble coming from the direction the third bird had flown. We thought no way. Kept calling and finally he poked out at 75 yards. He was very cautious but after an hour of just standing there he finally came into b-mobile. We think this was the third gobbler coming back to look for his buddies. What a great afternoon. 3 toms in 2 and a half hours and we were tagged out. Here are a few more pictures:
2866-2deadtoms.jpg

2 toms dead in the spread
2866-heavy_load.jpg

2866-2ndksturk.jpg

2866-pat.jpg

2866-4beards.jpg

2866-5beards.jpg

The 5 beards totaled right at 31 inches. He had inch long spurs. This is a frustrating sport we love but when it works out there is nothing like it!Good luck to everybody!

Marc

Nice job Marc! Hopefully, I'll be able to follow up with 2 of my own this weekend and do us proud! LOVE the 5 beards!

AAGGHHHHHH, I want a multiple bearded bird so bad!

Great work on getting it done!
:way:

Top Bottom