Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Fishing Trip up North

streitl

I went up to Lake Winnie on our annual family and friends fishing trip last week. Northern fishing was a little slow. We caught quite a few of the smaller ones, but too small to be worth keeping and eating. The walleyes were a little better a few days. I think the slot limit they have on that lake (17"-26" returned immediately) has helped. We caught a lot of fish in the upper range of the slot and even above the slot too.

Here is one 25" walleye I caught using a slipsinker and a floating jig head tipped with a leech. That gash on his side was kind of interesting. It looked halfway fresh, but I don't think he did it during the catch at all.

PICT0033.JPG

This walleyes was also 25" long and caught with the same set up as the other one.

PICT0034.JPG

My uncle proved not to be the best camera man in this photo.

We caught a decent amount of fish that were less than 14", but also had our share of the eating size around 15"-17". We ate fish twice during the week up there and brought back several pounds of it also. All in all, a good week.

looks like fun.....

arent there muskies in that lake??

i thought there was..... to heck with walleyes
/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Nice work!!!!!!
/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: streitl</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My uncle proved not to be the best camera man in this photo. </div></div>
Who wants to look at your mug anyways.... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shocked.gif

Ha. Winni definatly has some decent fish in it. Winni is known more for the perch though. Although perch is doing as good as it was 5years ago. (or so I've been told)
Congrats on the good trip.
Dean

Actually, the day I caught one of those walleyes, a DNR officer pulled us over and checked our livewell. He said that a 53" muskie was caught that same day in a different part of the lake. I have seen a few big ones pulled out of Winnie in the weeks that we've been up there, but no where close to that big. We will typically pick up a few perch drifting for walleyes, especially if we have minnows on. Some of the big ones we catch in the deeper water are nice. Shallower water yields a lot of the smaller ones. I hear that the perching is best through the ice though.

Top Bottom