Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Flash Shock!

Ghost

Life Member
I am looking for some input about what you guys think about the camera flash keeping good bucks away from an area if the camera has been there for an extended period of time.

I noticed the one night I did not have the camera out the most feed was eaten the following day.

Shredder and I talked about placing the camera in a more elevated position to eliminate the flash right in their face.

I wouldn't think with a 10 minute delay this would be such a big deal.

Any thoughts....thanks!

Ghost,
I believe in this 100% I have a video of a HUGH buck getting his picture taken by a camera, it scared the crap out of him. Course he came back the next day and I believe he got used to it. I think each buck is different.

I do think it helps to have the camera up higher and pointed down.

I've set my camera up in my backyard for just this reason. I wanted to see how the deer reacted to it. Some deer (does & bucks alike) it really bothers & others don't mind at all. I have one buck that would aviod the camera & spook when it went off. However he continued to come back. Another big buck stayed in front of it & didn't even flinch when it went off.

I came to the conclusion I will not put them near my stands. It's not worth the risk.

mike

How much do digital cam's cost with technology that doesn't rely on flash??? Are these still very expensive? How many are on the market? THANKS

well ghost, i don't get many big bucks on camera but i do have a few and from what i can see the flash has never bothered them. i definetly know it doesn't bother the little ones, my cam has taken 5 rolls of film in the last 4 days(to top it all off my cam is only 20 yards from my house), but i'm still waiting on that big one to show. i don't really feel that it has an affect on any of the deer.

think of it this way, what is different from a flash and lightning???

My experiences with that splitg3, when the camera is close to buildings, the flash does not bother them as much but when you get in a remote area...it has a negative effect on the mature bucks and hardly any effect on the does. When put up high, I have had a ton of pics of the same bucks with minimal negative effects. I will see about building an IR camera and see how that works out Ghost.

[ QUOTE ]
Some deer (does & bucks alike) it really bothers & others don't mind at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would agree with this, and also avoid setting cameras up close to my stands.

In 4 years of using cameras, only once have I had multiple pictures taken of the same mature buck at the same camera (setup). I'm not sure this is a coincidence.

I also totally agree that some bucks will totally avoid the camera . I have watched bucks aproach my camera in the day and run right past it then go back to normal. I have also watched bucks going to feeding stations with a camera that just will not commit to getting in from of the camera .. Just last year I had one buck that I saw over 20 times in the day time and saw him several times headed to my after season feed stations with cameras and only once did I ever get a pic of him and it was just of his antler as another deer set the camera off .. I found both of his shed right close and I saw him from velvet till he shed and that one little pic was the only pic I ever got with having my cameras out for months .. I am going to try putting some dummy cameras out all year and see if this works at all ?? we will see but some bucks are sure hard to get pics of

good luck and mix it up and you will get more pics of thebig boys

Marc

Top Bottom