Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Fletchings...part 2

muddy

i've noticed on my bitzenburger arrow fletcher that the clamp has small notches on it so you can orient your fletchings in the same place as you fletch. my question is how many of you fletch your own arrows and when you do how do you figure out how far up from the knock do you have the back end of the fletching?? i've always done about an inch but today i was trying out a helical clamp and when i had the fletching that far back i couldn't get any helical hardly on the arrow. my next question is with 4 inch fletchings is a helical necessary, or possible, on my arrows. the only way i could get a decent helical is to have the fletchings about 2 1/2 inches from the knock. it looks goofy, but then again, so do i. for optimum performance out of a helical fletching where should it be located upon the shaft?? am i going to benefit that much from going to helical as opposed to my usual strait, or no, helical??

Whoa Mudboy, lots of questions all run together.........We established on another post that you shoot carbons. My wife shoots carbons and I had to fletch her arrows this spring and I have a rt helical clamp. I started from about the 5/8 mark for hers and was able to get a radical enough helical but the shaft diameter was so small that I had trouble getting the feather to stay on the arrow just due to the diameter. Yes it is possible to fletch them in a helical but in a perfectly tuned bow, probably not necessary. I still used the helical clamp but straighted out the adjustments on the base so that the only degree of helical was due to the clamp itself.
tongue.gif
I hope this makes sense, if not reply and I will try to make myself more clear............

Muddy,
I use a helical fletching on my carbons, just for the simple fact that I don't have to worry about my arrows doing the sidestep on the way to the target. As far as you needing helical flething on your arrows, I would say that as long as your broadheads are hitting where you're aiming and you're arrows are paper tuned from 15 feet or so you shouldn't have to worry about it.
CRITRGITR

CRITRGITR is correct. With a four fletch, as long as your arrow is getting down range w/o porpoising or tailing, forget the helical. If you feel you must fletch somehow other then straight, use a right or left offset. 4 degrees is perfect.

so much crap to deal with helical, i think i'll just stick with straight and call it good. maybe try one or two arrows but i doubt it. thanks for the help guys.

Top Bottom