Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Flying Squirrels

G6

In 23 years of bowhunting I have never been lucky enough to see a flying squirrel until this morning while waiting for daylight. While sitting there looking at a large oak that was skylighted I saw a small flash go up the side of one of the large limbs. I watched for more movement and saw a dark streak go through the air to another oak about 20 yards away. I thought at first I was seeing things so I watched the first tree intently and was rewarded with another sighting. This time the second flying squirrel glided to the tree I was sitting in and landed on the trunk 5 foot above my head! He then proceded to glide to the tree the first one flew to. I watched closely, it was now getting a little bit lighter and spotted another one that also glided to the tree I was in, only land in the same spot above my head. I pulled out my flashlight to shine it on him just to be sure I wasn't seeing things. ;-) Even though I never saw any deer it made my day. Do any of you guys on the DNR know if flying squirrels are protected?

G6

That is pretty cool! I have never seen a flying squirrel in Iowa or even Missouri.....just wondering....what county did you witness the little critter in?

Yup - they're a protected species in Iowa. Same with red squirrels. You can only shoot gray and fox squirrels during season. Found a flying squirrel trapped in campground bathroom down at Lake Rathbun when I worked there years ago.

GunnerJon
I saw them in Jackson county, but I think they're found in most of the Midwestern states. They're nocturnal so that's why most have never seen them.
G6

Did the squirrel have a leather flying helmet and goggles.....and a large friend by the name of Bullwinkle? heehee

Top Bottom