Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Foi 3/2/11

My point was this. If I buy a lakefront cabin, you can still fish the lake, just not sleep in the cabin. If you buy a farm here to hunt, I can't hunt the farm like I did before you bought it. A better comparison would be if you bought a cabin next to a public hunting area here. Now you can hunt there easier, but I can still hunt it too. You buying the cabin didn't hurt access for anyone, just like my buying a lakefront cabin didn't hurt fishing access for you or anyone else. That's the difference.

the example of lake front property may not be exact but it does stir up how people can see how unfair every other year use of property really is if the tables are turned

how unfair every other year use of property really is

you can use it anytime you want, you just can't harvest a deer that belongs to all the residents of Iowa anytime you want.

Do any of you NRLOs think the non landowning NR's want you sucking up the anysex tags just because you can pay for land?

I guess I couldn't see myself buying a cabin on a lake in MN and only being able to fish the lake every 2nd or 3rd year. :) With that said, I know I would want to fish it every year and I can see where you are coming from. On the other hand, I also couldn't see myself trying to change a law that has been in place for years that I knew of when I bought the cabin.

By the way, where is that horse at. I think he needs another beating..... :)

Laws change all the time...... Change is part of life... I could shoot a doe with my bow when I bought my property and now I can't.... that is change.... The residency rules in Iowa have changed.... Every year there are changes to your regulations...... So it is OK when the rules change the way you want and wrong when they change and you don't like them....

Laws change all the time...... Change is part of life... I could shoot a doe with my bow when I bought my property and now I can't.... that is change.... The residency rules in Iowa have changed.... Every year there are changes to your regulations...... So it is OK when the rules change the way you want and wrong when they change and you don't like them....
And why were these rules changed? It was not because residents were doing illegal things. :thrwrck:

IMO trespassing is bad yes, but non residents can do that just as easy as the residents. Its the inproper use of tags that cause the stir and changes for non residents IMO.. again, IMO

The constant change of regulations adds to the skepticism of the reasons for them. What is illegal, and makes you a bad person one year, may be changed and make you a modle citizen the next. The constant changing makes me wonder if rules are based on universal ethics or pressure from $$$ or a group,,probably with $$$. I am just a Skeptic...

Yes they thought the bow hunters were doing it illegal. So they took the tags from them and made it legal for the gun hunters to do the same thing. Thats the IBA working there.

Yes they thought the bow hunters were doing it illegal. So they took the tags from them and made it legal for the gun hunters to do the same thing. Thats the IBA working there.

What are you talking about? Party hunting rules for shotgun season have been in place since Iowa started deer hunting seasons.

And there was no thinking that NR antlerless bow tags were being miss-used, they were, and there was case after case proving it.

That being said, IMO party hunting rules should be tossed.

It's obvious to me that you don't care for the IBA or the current hunting regulations in Iowa. My qustion to you is; what are you doing lurking on an Iowa deer hunting forum? Don't think for a minute your self centered ideas are going to influence anyone on this site. Simply not going to happen!

Talk to any DNR CO, the nr archery doe tag was very heavily abused.

PERSONALLY, I'd love to see party hunting go away. Lots of people ask about that, my standard answer is " We will do away with party hunting when Tx. does away with feed and baiting for deer". Tradition is tough to do away with.

I love how good or bad (depending on which side of the fence you are on) it's always the IBA's fault. The recession?Global warming?

How about this. If the hunters and conservation groups in other states been more actively involved and not caved in to their DNR and special interests groups, they too could have some outstanding deer hunting. I fail to see why Iowa should change just because other states have. If you can't accept Ia. law and regulations stay at home. I too have been a nr in several states and never once have I tried to change their laws because I thought they were unfair.

I promise & swear my last post on issue. Where's the horse?

Iowa has great hunting because of the low people population which translates to low pressure, old age and big deer. If other states had the same regs the deer would be gone. Early doe season in November, long archery season, 13 day shotgun season, late muzzy season, late January antlerless with rifles, multiple buck tags for residents with up to three buck tags for resident landowners, party hunting, etc. ..what have I missed. I have seen pickup trucks in Iowa with so many deer in the bed they couldn't be counted without removing each deer. States like NE, ND, and KS fall into the same category. No people = big deer. It's that simple.

Before you ask I come to Iowa because there is no pressure comparatively. I hunted 12 days last archery season and did not see another hunter. A relative hunted first shotgun and thought he had the wrong first day due to the lack of shooting. Your regs work due to limited pressure. And no, I don't believe NRLO's having a tag every year would change things. As mentioned before the outfitters would.

Last edited:
the example of lake front property may not be exact but it does stir up how people can see how unfair every other year use of property really is if the tables are turned

You can use the property very day! You bought it, just don't think that it gives you any special privileges with Iowa’s natural resources(that just happen to run across your land).

If we don't fight this the interest will grow exponentially to owning Iowa farm land. This would, very simply put, accelerate the loss of access for all hunters that currently knock on doors. It would also take many acres of pasture ground out of use. Not good for the states cattlemen. I get it that people have bought and will continue to buy Iowa land with a recreational motive. We just can't afford to make decisions that will up the level of interest.

By the way, where is that horse at. I think he needs another beating..... :)

deadhorse.gif

I liked the group look of this one:way:

Iowa has great hunting because of the low people population which translates to low pressure, old age and big deer. If other states had the same regs the deer would be gone. Early doe season in November, long archery season, 13 day shotgun season, late muzzy season, late January antlerless with rifles, multiple buck tags for residents with up to three buck tags for resident landowners, party hunting, etc. ..what have I missed. I have seen pickup trucks in Iowa with so many deer in the bed they couldn't be counted without removing each deer. States like NE, ND, and KS fall into the same category. No people = big deer. It's that simple.

Before you ask I come to Iowa because there is no pressure comparatively. I hunted 12 days last archery season and did not see another hunter. A relative hunted first shotgun and thought he had the wrong first day due to the lack of shooting. Your regs work due to limited pressure. And no, I don't believe NRLO's having a tag every year would change things. As mentioned before the outfitters would.
Give me a break Jdubs! Iowa has great hunting because we have a low people pupulation? Now what book did you get that out of? If there was any truth to that statement at all; tell me why Iowa's deer population has grown from near extinction in the 1940's to what it is today? There are more people living in the state of Iowa today than there were in the 1970's; yet the deer herd is doubled. Also the size of our deer isn't because of low pressure, it is genetics and nutrition! Show me a 300 lb. deer in Texas. The reason we have the great deer hunting in this state; is because of the concerned citizens who live here. It was my grandfather, father, and now me who have fought to protect our hunting rights. Who have fought to keep the hunting tradition as it is, and not let other special interest groups ruin our resources. Do i have to spell it out to you who the special interest groups would be today? Your last two sentences NRLO's, and outfitters would fall into that category. It's kind of funny how you don't want to compare yourself to outfitters; yet to most resident hunters you both want to change our regulations.

Top Bottom