Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Follow up 4 wheeler question

Fishbonker

Life Member
How close do you guys ride the quad to your stand? Do you worry about wind direction from where you park it? Does the wind blow from the quad to your stand?

Can't use a back pack yet so this would give me more flexabillity in carrying cammo instead of wearing it and cooking on the walk.

The 'Bonker

I got lazy once last year drove it to the stand dropped my stuff off and then took it back a couple hundred yards and walked back. I don't think the four wheeler bothered anything but I had a doe stare down my scent free bag I had my clothes in at the base of the tree. Needless to say she wasn't impressed stared it down for awhile then did what all does do when they don't like something stomped and snorted forever.
Didn't think a dark green bag would've bothered anything but I guess the outsides probably not scent free.

I have been late a few times to get to my stand if daylight is approaching or working longer than expected and wanting to get on stand fast and parked my atv 75-100 yds up wind so I could watch older bucks and does reactions in past years. I have yet to see any of them react to the 4-wheeler. Have seen them within 10 yards without scaring. The thing I would be most concerned with is exhaust or other smell on cloths but I haven't noticed myself getting winded any more when using atv or walking with fresh laundered clothes. I usually undress\dress before the ride or walk and am very careful about scent control. I know from experience on the farm that deer do not seem scared of tractors, combines, etc. out in the fields but will often flee from trucks in the same areas,must associate with danger due to past experience? I wouldn't be too concerned with taking your atv to your stand but I would keep it somewhat concealed and observe. Happy hunting

I was hunting a fence line and my quad was about 300 yrds from my stand a doe blew the hell out of my quad she didn't know what to think

My father, and his hunting partners all ride there ATVs right to the base of the stand when the rifle hunt. They shoot deer, they dont see nice bucks, and they dont see the number of deer I do, but they shoot the 1st one to walks by. My father has killed deer that were within 25yards of his wheeler multiple times.

I would also imagine atvs in my area are alot more common than in Iowa.

Top Bottom