Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Food Plot business in SE Iowa?

loneranger

Since I am begining to think this guy I know, who is in the Food plot business is crooked. Does anyone in SE Iowa, the Ottumwa area, know of anyone who sprays weeds, or is in the food plot business and is honest? MY land is between Ottumwa and Fairfield. I know Golden Furrow does these things but on large scales for farmers. Also have heard some bad things about this particular business. Thanks for help. Hard to find honest help nowdays.

Does PF work from a rate sheet or how do they bid jobs?

I was just thinking about how much I enjoy doing my own work but when you think about the costs and time involved it is anything but cheap.

I am in SE iowa as well and haven't had much success at all either. I have a ton of weeds growing in my native plantings that is going to cost me a ton and feel that was money down the drain...I've paid for 2 acres in the past for rye/clover from the same outfit and haven't had success...if you find someone, I'd be interested.

[ QUOTE ]
I have a ton of weeds growing in my native plantings that is going to cost me a ton and feel that was money down the drain...

[/ QUOTE ]

Might want to see if you can find someone to at least clip those weeds...8-12" high. Maybe a local farmer even.

I know it's very difficult and frustrating depending on others to do foodplot work or even getting GF to spray, etc.

No question it would be cheaper even at 400-500 bucks an acre to hire someone versus all the equipment...but that doesn't mean you end up with anything when your done....plus like pharmer mentions...farmin is 1/2 the fun!
waytogo.gif

I've had FRM do work for me this year. They are located in SE Iowa, have great equipment and know food plots.
waytogo.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I've had FRM do work for me this year. They are located in SE Iowa, have great equipment and know food plots.
waytogo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps FRM could post some pictures of work he has done which would in itself be a great reference!

These days if one has to travel any distance at all, fuel alone is a becoming a huge expense.

Loading up a tractor and equipment, driving 50 or more miles, unloading, doing the work, loading, driving...that's alot no matter if you have one acre or 10!

I'm not sure what people charge for plot work but I would hope that no one would expect it to be cheap.

Everyone should expect, weather related conditions taken into account, that they would get their moneys worth as far as quality work
smirk.gif

Doing my own plots, I can decide whether to soil test or skimp on lime or fertilizer or just having the prep and timing be perfect- all this change affect the outcome. So I adjust my expectations based on decisions I make. I do get good lime down for plots but don't watch fertilizer as close as I should and I use some donated or year-old seed.
If you get advice and don't follow it or plant an ill-suited crop based on prep and time to keep it mowed- results may vary. Not every plot looks as good as the ones done by Dbltree.
smile.gif

I do think expectations are too high sometimes if one doesn't have the time and equipment to do their own food plots. I can't do the same as a farmer who often has a million or more invested in state of the art equipment.

I would encourage those that have very minimal equipment to work with, to consider low maintenance, longer term plantings such as clover, or NWSG for cover.
In both cases, a backpack sprayer, Roundup and a lawn seeder would allow someone to kill sod in September and frost seed in late winter in a small plot situation.

It's a lot easier to hire someone to clip weeds or clover in the summer then get someone to get plantings done during a critical and busy time of the year.
One can get a lot done with an ATV these days as well
waytogo.gif

Top Bottom