Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Food Plot Fail

MO-APE

I put in two acres of brassicas (turnips, radish & rapeseed) on Sept 12th. I know it was late but expected at least some green browse. I'm only seeing a few tiny sprouts and some grass regrowth even after a few good rains in No Mo. Should I start over with some cereal grains (re-disc, etc.), or broadcast rye, oats or wheat on top? I plan to put in Alice White clover in the spring via frost seed. Sorry for the same tired old question, but I am definitely a newby. Thoughts?

I would go with rye this late, it is the most cold hardy of those 3 and just broadcast it on the ground.

I broacast some rye on a newly prepped fence row and the ground was hard as a rock. We had a couple rains that were maybe 1/2" and it was doing pretty good under the circumstances and growing.

You may have thought they were good rains, but possibly not enough,,or ground did not stay wet long enough to germinate the seed. I planted rape and wheat around same time, and got several half inch rains but germination was still spotty.

You may have thought they were good rains, but possibly not enough,,or ground did not stay wet long enough to germinate the seed. I planted rape and wheat around same time, and got several half inch rains but germination was still spotty.

Noticed that myself. 1/2" rains or less may not get good germination.

We put some in late last year in southern Ia, a little earlier than 9/12 but not much rain, and we pretty much got nothing. Seedlings, little growth.

So, guess I'd go with a grain overseeding, probably rye if you can find some although this year is our first use of rye so I'm definitely not an expert re: one grain vs. another

Ground still plenty warm to germinate rye for sure, but again,,RAIN,,,where is it? We are in a dry/drought like weather pattern so good luck...

Ground still plenty warm to germinate rye for sure, but again,,RAIN,,,where is it? We are in a dry/drought like weather pattern so good luck...

I would go with what Loneranger said.

As far as the rain and drought Mo-Ape it will rain and having something down will be better than wishing that you had. Plant before a rain if you can. If we get an Indian summer in November it will help also.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Top Bottom