Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

food plot ideas

Just got permission to plant a plot from the landowner. Its about a half acre surrounded by cedars and young trees. Want something to draw them on the late season. Never planted a plot before and would like some veteran help.

half acre and late season really don't go together. The ONLY hope you could have for late season would be something like winter rye and even though clover isn't a top choice late season- you could add that. Even rye at 1/2 acre is going to be eaten to ground if there's a lot of deer. If it were me, I'd go in there late summer and do winter rye & clover. you could do the dbltree mix- ground hog forage radishes, peas, clover, winter rye, oats. I think most the goodies will get clobbered there too. So again, I think if it were me, I'd do a clover mix with winter rye late summer. Fertilize heavy & make sure you do it perfectly: timing, seed, weed control/killing, fertilizing/lime, etc.

Lot of deer? Late season, are you meaning like Dec/Jan or could you mean rut, like Nov? Secluded, small spots like that are tricky but do-able for sure.

If you have a heavy deer density, you may want to put a double electric fence around whatever you plant to keep the deer out until december or so. I have a regular herd of about 10-15 does and several in and out bucks that use my little piece of property and I still have about 1/4 of my brassicas with leaves on them yet and that was only a 1/4 acre or so. My plot is about 1/2 acre total, but, I have it sectioned out with alfalfa, clover, chicory, and brassicas. The brassicas are pretty much the only thing left. There are also a couple picked corn-fields very close that the deer graze heavily in, so that has helped keep some of the heavy pressure off my plot also.

Deer density is not to high. But I wont be able to get to this spot after crops are planted. Late season may be out of the question, but what could I plant in the spring?

I have this same question. I tried sorghum last spring hoping to add some cover and possibly an alternate snack for the deer. It came up pretty well but dont think the deer ever really paid much attention. The year before i did clover, it came up ok but couldnt keep up with the weeds. Its about 1/2 mile off the road and surrounded by ag fields, no access after planting season.

Maybe you could put that 1/2 into corn and leave it standing all winter? Plant in the spring and let 'er grow till hunting season.

Top Bottom