Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Food plot newbie...

Rackmup65

and I have some questions.

I have a 1 acre plot and a 1/2 acre plot cleared and ready to till. I know it is getting late so I was wondering the best crop to plant this late for fall and winter sources. The plots are close together and I do not plan to hunt the area until November. I do have all the machinery as I own a small cow/calf operation.

I do have a bag for 1 acre of Biologic, not sure of the blend.

Just looking for some tips from the seasoned veterans...

We utilize Tecomate products and the Ultra Forage Brassica's have been great this fall. I planted 2 acres 6 weeks ago and it's knee high already. I planted 1 acre two weeks ago in southern IA and it's about 2-3 inches high. Most credible companies have a qualtiy Brassica, so if you still plan to hunt over it this fall you may want find some and get it in as soon as possible. I know Scheels still have some on their shelves in West Des Moines.

Do you know the pH? If I were you- I would get a soil test right away but would probably just till and get some rye and winter wheat seeded pronto. You can come back and spread lime or fertilize as needed. If test results look ok- you can frost seed clover or tear it all up next year and start with your Biologic or whatever you want. You're going to get as many opinions as members!

At this stage of the game I would take pharmers advice and get some rye or wheat planted asap. You can take soil tests and see whats needed and apply later. Broadcast some urea on before or after you plant. Rememer if you can't find it any where else, slip into Wally-mart and p/u some lawn fertilizer.

You can learn as you go but times wearing down now. Start with the easy stuff and prepare for frost seeding clover or next years plots by asking questions thru the winter.

The grains are easy...scratch it up, broadcast some seed, pack it in...done! Add fertilizer when u have time.

If you can't find seed locally try Welters...they have it at my place the next day!

Welter Seed

Pharmer hit it on the head with getting the soil test first before putting down expensive seeds.DO NOT assume your PH is good enough as it will be a waste of your time and money.On my bad soils which test low in PH,nutrients and organic matter i seed oats,wheat,rye in the fall and have lime spread when the ground is frozen. I disc them all under in the late spring which builds the soil and also gives the lime time to correct the PH and be worked into the soil.I have never planted turnips this late and most recommend planting no later than the first week of september to have a reasonable stand.Good luck.

I'm in the same boat. Cut weeds last week, sprayed roundup last night. I plan to leave it sit a week and then disk. I have ordered a soil test kit, which I'm planning on getting my PH correct for the spring. I'd like to get some seed in for the fall and I realize the clock is ticking. I have a bag of turnip seed (given to me) and would like to order some winter wheat / rye. I saw double's link. What varieties have you had luck with? How much does a bushel plant? I'm also looking at an acre. (didn't mean to hijack the thread).
Cy

[ QUOTE ]
What varieties have you had luck with? How much does a bushel plant? I'm also looking at an acre.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's a link to a post with seeding rates in #'s per acre. Planting cereal grains

You can normally find rye and/or wheat locally and save a few bucks shipping, but if you don't have time to "shop", Welters will take care of you. For deer feed...rye is rye, wheat is wheat (at least IMO)

Rye is very forgiving as far as fertility and PH, so you can get away with just getting it in the ground and "fixing" problems later when you get soil tests back.

Rye can actually be planted as late as mid-October depending on weather conditions, however don't expect lush growth that will attract and hold deer.

If you can get "grains" planted this weekend you should have plenty of time for some decent growth. If you have time to fertilize it with a little nitrogen...great, if not you can apply that a week or two later also. If it doens't get any it will still do fine for most food plots.

It's getting plenty late for brassicas but if we don't get a freeze for a month they might do fine.

Awesome. May go with the Rye. Ok, I'll fire another stupid question at you guys. Lime. Should I look to a COOP to get some? It's one acre. Would pellet lime be affordable for an acre? I've got a Scotts lawn spreader I thought of using on it. (sorry, city boy dreaming of being a farmer
smile.gif
)

[ QUOTE ]
Lime. Should I look to a COOP to get some? It's one acre. Would pellet lime be affordable for an acre? I've got a Scotts lawn spreader I thought of using on it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah yes...lime, real pain in the rear for small applications. I'm lucky to live down the road from the "largest underground limestone mine in Iowa" (or something like that) I also have a friend with a lime truck which is still of little use in a tiny spot.

I would start by checking with you local CO-OP or fertilizer supply. Some even sell fertilizer with lime pellets mixed in. The $64 ?? is how much will you need? Could be several tons even for an acre and bagged lime and a small spreader can end up being quite a task.

Ask around as to what your options might be and get your soil test done...maybe it won't need that much!

Thanks for all the input...we are getting after it this weekend.

-Cy, no problem your input was welcomed. I am not a sensitive guy so I did not see a hijack, just more input!

Top Bottom