Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Food plot seed comparison

Fletcher #1

I've planted several different foot plots the last couple of years with not much luck. I'd like to blame it on the lack of moisture, but not sure that is the only problem. For those of you that had a decent crop this year in central iowa with not much rain, can you give the rest of us the type/make of seed you used? Thanks!

This was my first year planting food plots and I planted some clover and chicory in the spring. That ended up pretty weedy due to my mistake of tilling and planting without waiting for the weeds to come up and spraying. This September I planted some oats with clover mixed in hoping the clover will be good in the spring and some purple top turnips. The oats did finally take off when I got some rain but the turnips turned out a lot better than I figured with the drought. Only thing I can say about them is make sure you spread them far enough apart, all my big turnips are on the edge of the plot.

Of the plots that I did this year, I would only call two a success. One is a new clover / cerial rye plot that I planted in September using dbltree's recommendations of fertilizer and lime without a soil test. The other is right beside the first and is a RR soybean plot that I disked in in June. When the leaves started turning yellow in September I broadcast cerial rye, some GF Radish and half of the plot in Red Clover. The intent is to move everything into dbltree's rotation blend. Both of these plots are getting hammered by at least a dozen deer per night, right below my house, with very little cover. Due to their location I've been able to monitor them and have been very impressed with the way they have drawn in deer.

My other two plots are flops. One was planted last year with a brassica / clover blend. The deer didn't touch the brassicas and the dead leaves covered the ground this sping. Dispite raking the entire plot, very little of the clover emerged this spring and I ended up with a mostly weed plot, dispite mowing twice this summer. The other is a new plot that I soil tested and fertilized accordingly. I over planted the brassicas due to misjudgement on it's size and fear the same result as the plot that flopped from last year. I'm hoping that the deer get a taste for the first year brassicas and take care of the leaves but so far they are not.

Next year both of these plots will be started early fall with the clover / Rye and then switched over to dbltree's blend.

Good luck!:way:

Thanks fellas for your replays. I'm still not quite sure what I plan on doing next year, but all of your input sure helps!

Top Bottom