Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Food plots in CRP.

Thinkin Rut

PMA Member
Is the 10% I've heard talked about a blanket rule or does each contract have a different number? Does food plotting need to be mentioned in the contract?

Our contracts are 1% can be plots/mowed is all on one farm. Other farm is 0- and have to keep trees/shrubs out.
So far- we’ve been checked the last 3 years (unsure how often they usuall my check- but before that it was like 5 years before we saw anyone)

Each crp contracts is to be devoted to a cp#. For example cp1 is introduced grasses, cp2 is native grasses, cp3 is trees...etc. your specific cp practice may or may not allow an additional cp12(food plot).
So if your contract does not include cp12, then your not authorized to have food plots as part of your enrolled acreage. In other words, if you contract has authorized you to have a food plot then your contract will show a cp12 with location and acres.

If your contract doesn't authorized you, then ask your local fsa if it can be modified to include a cp12.
Many of the continous practice don't allow cp12. Most of the general sign up practice do all cp12.

Yeah when I signed into CP 42 I was surprised when I realized you couldn’t do foodplots! ‍

Last edited:
One other note - some of the programs that do allow 10% to be planted as food plots have the stipulation of it being 10% of a field.

An example - if you have 40 Acres of FSA acres going into CRP and it's broken up into 4 fields of 10 acres you wouldn't be allowed to plant one 4 acre food plot in one of the fields. It'd need to be four, 1 acre food plots in each field.

CP25 allowed me 10% but like Jake said I had to do it per field and not all tied together with kind of stinks in my instance. Ended up leaving a small amount out of the program to increase the size of the one food plot.

Top Bottom