Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Foodplot for others... Would you?

bowhuntr311

IowaWhitetail Addict
I've got a little dilema (skip to the bottom for cliff notes)

So last year I got permission to hunt a new farm in the next town south of me. Some active cattle pasture, some corn and a few good pieces of alfalfa that cattle DONT have access to. Anyways, as I hunted/explored it this year I found several spots that would make alright foodplots where cattle arent allowed;), and one that would be AWESOME (the stuffs my dreams are made of).
I know the farmer would allow me to put foodplots in, however, there is 0% QDM on the farm. Brown its down rings true 90% of the time. Im sure if I planted any foodplots the other hunters would be all over them, shooting every deer that hits the plot. There would be a box stands built on it and they'd have a pickup trail to it....:mad: Not exactly my dream for my secret spot.

I mentioned my problem to a hunting buddy that was famialer with the farm and he suggested I ask the farmer if he would be willing to keep other people out of that one piece if I didnt hunt the rest of the farm and still put in other food plots on the rest of the farm. The other hunters are usually sons, nephews, and one neighbor. The piece of property I want to hunt is probably the least hunted piece on the whole farm, but seems to be a way better piece than the rest (in my eyes). As far as I know only 1 other person hunted it this year.

I dont really want to tell the farmer about my (secret spot) unless he's willing to allow me sole access. 2 of the spots I would plant for others, he'd already disced up just try to keep the weeds nocked down and he had mentioned he should plant them for the deer in there.

So in that lies my dilema:

Should I ask the farmer to allow me sole access to one part (10%) of his farm while planting multiple foodplots for others on the rest of the farm? Total acres of all plots not to exceed 3acres.
or
Should I plant all the food plots and hope other hunters dont hunt my foodplot and the hunt the other ones?
or
Should I skip the whole idea, and just hunt the exsiting crop?

I would just hunt the existing. I have considered the same thing and I decided that I would just attract everyone else into areas I hope they will leave alone. I highly doubt you are gonna be able to convince him to keep his family off any part of the farm. Even if it was agreed to at 1st, I bet they would become curious and eventually end up in there anyway.

I tend to agree. Even if you did convince him to keep family off, the first time you kill a big buck would open up the flood gates. You could put the food plots in the other areas so that the deer have food. Skip putting a food plot in your "secret spot" and hope the other hunters stay near the food. Don't draw attention to your area. The other hunters will be happy with you for providing food for them to shoot the does and lesser bucks. You will have more food on the farm and still have your secret spot.

Top Bottom