Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

? for the experienced guys

muddy

When do you start moving cameras off bean fields and into the timbers? I pulled my cam last week and was "pleasantly" surprised by one buck pic and one doe pic over almost 2 weeks. I was disgusted and am now looking to re-deploy in a different location. What do you look for in pre rut situations?

Next week 2 of my cams will be moved to Scrapes, found 2 fresh scrapes this past weekend. I will leave the others on food plot and mineral for now.

I'm no expert in trail cameras so listen to me or not
grin.gif
, but in my experience they start losing primary interest in beans right about the end of August, first of September. The last few years I've moved off of beans about August 20-25. Any later than that the pictures are much less. But, thats just what I've seen the past few years.

This time of year, I still try and keep focused on bachelor groups, if I know of any, and move the cameras off the beans but still in the main area the bachelor group has been living. The last couple years I've keyed on transition edges of cornfields to timber that are still near to water and it has worked really well for the most part.

Right now I'm stinkin' it up on the cams so I can't say. I'm going to start focusing on scrapes here soon, I'm sure they'll be popping up in the next week or so.
crazy.gif

We've had luck putting them on trails leading to water. Too bad my cameras are sitting in my truck right now.

Find one of them big oak trees dropping acorns to put it by. I am moving one today if there is nothing on it.

I have found that as soon as the beans start turning yellow I move them to hay fields or oak stands and seem to get a lot more acivity.

If you want an inventory I say minerals, to scrapes, to a good pile of corn late season to see who your survivors are. I don't use my cameras to figure specific movement, inventory is my focus. If you run enough cameras some trails and crossings and funnels can be fun but the gravy IMO will always be those main three. Shreader, I think, first state here the idea of high camera placement over scrapes. If you make that move try putting them high over the scrape, his has given me the best results.

After Labor Day weekend, I usually begin placing cameras on Scrapes and making a few Mock scrapes with a scent! I have a new scent I am field testing this year that has been claimed to get bucks jump started. It will be out on Cameras next week! I usually leave one camera in a funnel/high traffic area, and the rest go to Scrapes!

Mocks or a dripper over primary's scrapes that have been used for many season to get things cookin for your cameras.

[ QUOTE ]

No...freshen it yourself!
grin.gif

Drink 4 beers and hold it until you get there.
evil.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I've actually heard of guys doing this!

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

grin.gif

evil.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ive actully done it.
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

grin.gif

evil.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ive actully done it.
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You ain't the only one.

[ QUOTE ]
yea its ususally 8 not 4.
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Only if I have multiple scrapes to freshen!
evil.gif

Top Bottom