Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Found, or harvested?

wegner36

Just curious, for those of you that deer hunt and also shed hunt, have you found bigger antler(s) than you've been able to harvested? I'd consider finding a dead buck the same as finding sheds.

In my case, I've got a bigger set of sheds than anything that I've harvested, but that was through sheer luck, and up until a couple of years ago I had harvested a bigger deer than anything I'd found

Until this year I had harvested bigger deer but I managed to scoop up a couple dandy sheds early this shed season that are bigger than my deer on the wall. I should consider it luck but I never find dead bucks, maybe a dink every year or two but thats it

I'm always shocked at how many GIANT sheds are picked up across the state. Obviously there's monster bucks killed too BUT seems a higher amount of gigantic sheds. I personally think once these giants hit 6.5 and older, they often just become like GHOSTS and very few are able to kill them. When I have a 6.5+ monster on my place, I rarely worry my neighbors are going to kill him, I always "worry" about the tremendous 3.5's & 4.5's getting killed by neighbors BUT that big old dudes are just too smart.

seems to me i have all these pictures of these big hawgs but locating the sheds is hard for some reason but i sure have a stock pile of 3.5-4.5 year olds

I have found two matched sets of Boone & Crocket typicals. That should answer your question!

First off...finding a dead buck is not the same as finding sheds. It sucks to find a dead buck no matter his size because you don't get an oppertunity to kill him in the future. With sheds at least you know that buck is more than likely out there somewhere. It is definately easier to find a shed off a 5+ buck than getting in bow range. IMO

First off...finding a dead buck is not the same as finding sheds. It sucks to find a dead buck no matter his size because you don't get an oppertunity to kill him in the future. With sheds at least you know that buck is more than likely out there somewhere. IMO

your misinterpreting my point, I agree in the difference in sheds and a dead buck, I'm talking in regards to my question, if someone found 180 inch deer dead and there biggest kill is 160, then they have found a bigger deer than they have harvested, hence finding a dead buck is in the same category as the sheds, in this question....

Brian, harvested or killed, nanny on a stick still tastes the same, and I was attempting to sound politically correct....

your misinterpreting my point, I agree in the difference in sheds and a dead buck, I'm talking in regards to my question, if someone found 180 inch deer dead and there biggest kill is 160, then they have found a bigger deer than they have harvested, hence finding a dead buck is in the same category as the sheds, in this question....

Brian, harvested or killed, nanny on a stick still tastes the same, and I was attempting to sound politically correct....
I see.....I have found bigger sheds and dead bucks than I have ever killed....Hope to change that trend next season.

I think the big deer eat their own sheds.

I pick up the little sheds and usually shoot over the top of the big ones.

I have found 2 big matched sets..one goes 163 the other 151..both without spreads added in..but I have killed 3 160's...can't break out of that number or the 4.5 year old age range...

I have killed much larger deer than I have sheds to???? Most over 5.5 years old. Biggest shed I own are ones I bought....

I have killed much larger than I have found. I never fine very good sheds. But I have not killed many huge bucks either.

I have killed three bucks between 160-164. I have found seven sheds between 70-75 inches. So I guess you could say I am stuck around that 70 inch antler whether it be killing the deer or finding the sheds.

I have found bigger than I have killed but I think thats due to the fact that a shed or dead deer cant run!

Top Bottom