Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Four Charged with Poaching

blake

Life Member
Four Men Charged with Poaching Deer in Audubon County

AUDUBON COUNTY, Iowa - Four men were cited for poaching deer on December 7, in rural Audubon County.

Raymond Causey, 52, of Grand Cane, La., was charged with three counts of illegal transportation and was charged $25,000 in civil damages for killing three buck deer. This is the second time Causey has been charged with poaching deer in Iowa. He was charged with similar activity in nearby Cass County in 2008.

Dean Mertes, 55, of Polk City, Iowa, was charged with failure to tag and illegal transportation and assessed $5,000 in civil damages. In addition, Mertes allegedly purchased tags from other Iowa resident hunters for use by the nonresidents.

Joe Waddles, Jr., 52, of Keithville, La., was charged with no deer tag, two counts of unlawful take and charged $3,000 in civil damages.
Carl King, 66, of Shreveport, La., was charged with illegal possession of deer.

The men were staying in a camper next to a pole building on property where they had permission to hunt. The investigation uncovered a deer shooting operation where the individuals would illegally shoot a deer and take it to a shed hidden from site in the middle of a field. There, they would remove the head and hide, then butcher the deer, packing the meat into coolers. They would take the head and hides to the pole building for storage.

Jeremy King, state conservation officer with the Iowa Department of Natural Resources for Audubon County, said investigators witnessed the operation first hand. The investigation began with a call to the Iowa Department of Natural Resources Turn in Poachers Hotline.

"This is just one example of how important TIP information is to helping us stop these game thieves," King said. "These individuals where stealing from others who play by the rules."

The DNR seized 11 guns, eight buck deer heads, hundreds of pounds of deer meat, an ATV, small trailer and other hunting accessories.

The individuals were taken to the Audubon County Sheriff's Office where they posted bond and were released. King was assisted by conservation officers from Cass, Mills, Montgomery and Shelby counties.

TURN IN POACHERS!

1-800-532-2020

tiplogo.gif

TIP

Last edited:
Something tells me there is a lot more to this story than what is printed here..
Hopefully the second offense carries stiffer sentencing as the first one sure didn't work

I think its wrong that hes allowed to come back to Iowa to hunt after a poaching conviction.
I'm sure he never had any kind of a license to hunt anything. Throw the SOB in jail!!! But then we would be paying again and he would be eating HUSH deer. :(

I hope these guys are never allowed to hunt again. The DNR needs to keep a close eye on past poachers, in my mind, once a guy poaches once, he will more than likely do it again at some point in time.Throw the book at em!!!!

Top Bottom