Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Four Wheeler

eiowaarcher

I am looking to buy a four wheeler to help with plots and maintenance around the properties but don't really know a whole lot when it comes to utility four wheelers. I plan on using it to spread seed, pull drag, and possibly the culti packer, spray, moving/setting up stands, dragging trees if need. Pretty basic uses. But I don't want to spend a fortune on one ($3,000 or less). I have found a 2001 Yamaha Kodiak 400 4x4 with winch and sprayer already on it for $2500. Is this a good four wheeler? Plenty of power? Good price? Any advice would be helpful. Thanks

That's a decent price and will get you by for sure. Be perfect for seeding, spraying, stands, and dragging a harrow. If you are going to work it by pulling disc's and cultipackers or decent sized trees you will be pretty hard on the engine and it won't be the power you are looking for. I've owned a 400 and 500, got rid of them because I used them for the same purpose as you are describing. Yea they got me by but I could tell it was all they could handle to get me through some days and spent some time pushing the disc out of a deep spot or pushing a cultipacker up an incline as someone drove it. I no longer waste my time with them and go for a twin cylinder in 600 or bigger. Work alot better, smoother, and I don't have to get out and push the attachment along as I sometimes did with a 500 or smaller. Don't get me wrong, you will get by with a 400. I guess its really how much you are going to want to do with it and how efficient you want to be.

Last edited:
Ok thanks for the input. And makes/models you encourage or I should say away from?

Thats a whole other debate like Ford and Chevy but I'll give you my 2 cents. I've owned Honda, Polaris, Kawasaki, and Can-Ams. Personally, for the money I prefer the Kawasaki Brute Force or older Prairie 650 or bigger. But honestly all have been good to me. If not a Kawasaki I prefer a Polaris Sportsman 700 or 800 but they are a little bigger framed. Ride is nice though. Can-Ams are nice but expensive for what you are looking to do with it and if you have a budget in mind you won't even want to look at them. Honda's do the trick but for some reason they are at the bottom of my preference list.

You can find an older Kawasaki Prairie 650 for around $2500 or $3000 that will be great for what you want. You could also find a Polaris Sportsman in the 2005 range for about the same price. You might just have to start searching and wait til you find one.

But really, if you find a reputable brand wheeler with a twin cylinder at 600cc or bigger you will be fine for what you wanna do.

I have a John deer buck xt 500 4x4 at work. It has a utility box. The low end on this is great, it can really pull, rarely gets stuck. I have really abused it through the years, ran low on oil, hit big rocks, rolled it, this thing won't go away. The rotax engine (bombardier) is indestructible IMO. If I needed one for the farm I'd look for one of these. Cosmetically it looks horrible but I still wouldn't shy away from one.

Sent from my iPhone using IW

I've got a 700 arctic cat.. I pull a lot of weight with it. I've got the Speedpoint system for it which is kind of like a 3 point hitch type deal that I hook a disc to and I also have a rear blade that attaches to it also. It pulls the disc real nice.. I also haul a lot of wood with it in a trailer and that's when it really puts the engine in a load. The bigger you go, the better. If you're tilling up ground that gets tilled every year, then you'd probably be alright with a smaller engine. If you're breaking new ground, I wouldn't get anything under a 600.

I have an 05 arctic cat 650 v twin and that thing is an absolute beast. (yes it is a Kawasaki motor). I like the cats because there body and rack system is much larger in size and can handle a little more weight than the yamaha's and Polaris

Agree with what others are saying about bigger being better. The 400 will probably work for most things, but a little bigger machine provides you a lot of flexibility, especially considering the potential size of the ground you'll be working, and also not knowing what other ways you might end up using this thing in the future. Seems like theres always a new way to utlize a four wheeler when you have one. . .

I have a '02 Yamaha Grizzly 660, and am thankful everyday for having the little larger machine. Whether pulling the disc or mowing trails & roadways, this has done everything I've asked from it.

Ours is only a 350, and we have used it in a variety of ways and we have always been very pleased with it. BUT, this class of machine is not suited to breaking much/any fallow ground with a disc. We do have a disc for it and we have used it successfully, but in special situations where the ground is already loose, etc.

But for spraying, seeding, general hauling, snow plowing...this has been fine for us. If you want to break ground with a disc you probably want a water cooled v. air cooled engine too.

I have a 05 polaris magnum 330 4x4. Does everything I need it to. Plants the food plots, discs and drags the plots as well. I put baskets on the front and the back of it as well and does excellent with picking rock in the field as well. Tops out a 45mph but who needs to go any faster anyway?

grimreaper said:
I have a 05 polaris magnum 330 4x4. Does everything I need it to. Plants the food plots, discs and drags the plots as well. I put baskets on the front and the back of it as well and does excellent with picking rock in the field as well. Tops out a 45mph but who needs to go any faster anyway?

How big of disc do you pull?

Top Bottom