Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Freak Buck

Shredder

Life Member
ILdeerslayer got this picture on his trail cam this week. It is about the best example I know that displays a how a leg injury can mess up a rack. It is unfortuante it happened to him but will make a great management buck for someone if the opportunity presents itself.

Attachments

• 34661-closeuppoliobuck.jpg
    34661-closeuppoliobuck.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 133
That's a really cool pic. To bad the buck had to be injured though, but now he may develop into a real trophey with a lot of character.

That's really sad to see the buck as he is although he actually looks quite healthy and it is neat at the same time to be able to see how the injury affects the opposite side antler. Great picture, thanks for sharing it!

Once he is totally healed and his ole body doesn't have to try and figure out if it should heal or grow rack, there is a good chance he will come back to normal.
If he's in a QDM program, wait another year before you take him. Odd racks don't automatically mean "Managment Buck"

I have yet to see one that "goes back to normal" after they have healed up. I think his injury is old, just chronic as far as inflammation and infection. The most humane thing to do if opportunity presents itself is to take him out. If it was a doe, the same outcome, remove from the population. I am not implying that we need to take him out cause of the odd rack, it is not a genetic manifestation of abnormal growth and I am a big advocate of letting lesser or unique bucks go to see what time and growth will allow. Anyways, he will never be a breeder on this farm due to the injury, far too much competition from other healthy mature bucks. I got a pic of him on my camera today and his right hind leg is completely atrophied due to disuse

Top Bottom