Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Free Tractor Advice

bjkpharmd

Spring is around the corner so if thinking about tractors, it is a great time to shop dealers or attend auctions.

My free advice, anyone that wants to add, argue, disagree- feel free. It is free advice.

What and when you need, really depends on how and what you want to do. In general though.

Diesel will run cheaper on fuel
Gas is cheaper to fix when broken
Gas starts better when its really cold

A loader is handier than a shirt pocket (I always wanted to say that)

Very few times has anyone said "I wish I'd bought the one with less power"

Old tractors are much less expensive but aren't always as reliable. You need to choose for yourself. If you buy used- look for local support/parts.

Live PTO and hydraulics

Power steering (especially with a FEL)
3 pt hitch is most common for used implements

MFWD is nice on newer lighter tractors but not as big a deal on tractors with enough weight and decent tires. When using a loader it can help backing on a slope with a full bucket though (don't ask)

ROPS isn't just for sissies (although I'm not so equipped)

Dbltree- more gems? I think we need to find Daver a good machine!

Hey Pharmer, Daver officially appreciates the help offered!
grin.gif
Thank you to all of the "tractorized" helpers out there!!

But since I am NOT a tractor know it all, I have to ask for a little more explanation on some of the acronyms in your post.

PTO - I do know that one.
grin.gif
But what about...

FEL -

MFWD -

ROPS -

Another semi-related thought is this... my farm has several gullies, some are pretty canyon-like. This does have a way of influencing deer movement on my place, but as luck would have it some of the normal travel patterns are not well connected to good stand locations or I can't "get there" without busting deer and/or roosted turkeys. I really think I could develop some excellent stand sites, both in terms of hunting them AND getting in and out of them without disturbance, with a little manipulation of the terrain.

So I have had this idea for a couple of years now of getting some throwaway concrete culvert sections and getting them down in the bottom of the gullies somehow and then filling in over the top of them. It would be like building natural bridges or gully crossings. I know if I do this I can redirect the traffic right where I want it, right by some dandy full grown cedars or big leafy oaks, etc. Is a medium sized tractor with a bucket up to this task or not? I am pretty sure my wife would take a dim view of me rolling my "new" tractor down and a ravine and all, to say nothing of my own safety.

Related to that... what does one do with the bucket normally?

[ QUOTE ]
PTO - I do know that one.
grin.gif
But what about...

FEL - Front End Loader

MFWD -mechanical front wheel drive

ROPS - roll-over protective structure

[/ QUOTE ]

Can't live without any of those things (unless it's a D17 for $1500!!!
grin.gif
)

Been around tractors most of my life, as I am a farmer.
FEL- Had to stop and think on that one
confused.gif
I have not heard that term used much at all. Believe, it to be front end loader.
MFWD- Mechanical front wheel drive
Basically a 4-wheel drive tractor but smaller steer tires on the front end. not as powerfull as a 4-wheel drive but helps alot in traction and pulling power.
ROPS- Roll Over Protection System
A heavy steel upside down U-shaped bar to protect drive in case of a roll over on inclines or any type of accident.
Work a gulley as you mentioned I would be very carefull on the degree of incline you would be on. Just remember tractors are top heavy.
A bucket on a tractor has many uses as in moving dirt, caring cargo, etc.

[ QUOTE ]
my farm has several gullies, some are pretty canyon-like ... So I have had this idea for a couple of years now of getting some throwaway concrete culvert sections and getting them down in the bottom of the gullies somehow and then filling in over the top of them. It would be like building natural bridges or gully crossings ... Is a medium sized tractor with a bucket up to this task or not? ... what does one do with the bucket normally?

[/ QUOTE ]

You can do alot with a tractor but it sounds like you need a bulldozer. You would probably be better off hiring someone with the right equipment to make the crossings you described. I've been reminded a few times that our medium sized tractor with a bucket is not a dozer.

[ QUOTE ]

Related to that... what does one do with the bucket normally?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I've used my FEL to:
Dig shallow graves to bury pets.
Plow snow.
Move big round bales.
shocked.gif

Pull fence posts and small trees.
Haul and level rock.
Haul about anything (roll a deer into it so you don't have to lift it).
Pick apples from the bucket.
Put an extension ladder in the bucket so I could get to the peak of the barn to paint it.
shocked.gif

Lift the corner of a loaded flatbed trailer so I could change a tire.
Lift deer for skinning, you can adjust how high it is to make skinning easy.

The number of uses is only limited by your imagination (and your safety comfort level). Always keep a loaded bucket as low as you can when moving.

[ QUOTE ]
my wife would take a dim view of me rolling my "new" tractor down and a ravine and all

[/ QUOTE ]

This a a different subject...and no laughing matter
frown.gif

Every year more then one farmer gets killed when mowing a road ditch or some such and ends up on the wrong side of a tractor
crazy.gif

Smaller tractors are even more prone to roll overs, and ROPS are only useful if you are seatbelted in...otherwise you get thrown under the tractor and only a small miracle can save your life
smirk.gif

I often take chances with mine and it's not the brightest idea
blush.gif

If your going to put in some culverts Dave...check the place as you come into Birmingham...he has plastic culverts in any size you could ever want.

Next...hire a dozer...for a few hundred bucks they can do a LOT of work...and you won't roll a tractor...or worse get killed
frown.gif

I can reccomend someone if need be...

I remember some time ago someone on QDMA wondered aloud why he needed a FEL (front end loader)

If you ever own a tractor without one...and then one with a loader you'll wonder how you ever lived without one.
cool.gif

Being without a tractor is bad enough...without a loader is even worse.

Moving rocks, brush, piling "stuff", lifting a deer, grading, lifting something such as a disc for repairs...the list goes on and on.

Just in case you think I'm not really a "farm boy"
blush.gif
grin.gif

AC 160's can still be found and are a good little tractor...

AC160.jpg

My wife and sister pretending that they actually know how to drive that thing
grin.gif

JD 3020 also a good older tractor

3020JD.jpg

Man I miss baling hay! (NOTTT
grin.gif
)

6080 AC was a great tractor but a little bigger then most landowners would need

6080AC.jpg

I used to cover a lot of ground with ths thing!
cool.gif

BiggerisBetter.jpg

Nowadays...I'm happy to "play" on my little 790
cool.gif

JD790.jpg

If I was buying an older tractor I would look for one with a FEL if possible...but any tractor beats an ATV!
waytogo.gif

Daver- You also need a loader for lifting stuff off trailers- like planters, tillers, disks, plows, bush hogs, post hole diggers, ....
smile.gif

Go to a dealer and sit on a few- utility types always set a little lower but you straddle the transmission. The list of good older machines is pretty long. If you figure out what kind of hp you think you want, if you are going to transport it or store it at the farm, just how much time you have- that will narrow it down.

One use I found very handy for a FEL was lowering the bucket to act as a brake, both emergency and parking. Don't ask.

The 'Bonker

[ QUOTE ]
One use I found very handy for a FEL was lowering the bucket to act as a brake, both emergency and parking. Don't ask.

The 'Bonker

[/ QUOTE ]

Been there done that
smirk.gif

Also pretty handy for getting yourself "unstuck"
blush.gif

Ohh...and scrapping the sod off ahead of a raging out of control switchgrass fire...
bigshock.gif

Pharmer...now we know what you mean by "relaxing" when you head down to the property...
grin.gif

dbltree is my hero....that being said, the little (but powerful and handy) John Deere 790 is a great tractor for anyone that needs reliability, is priced right, and the ability to take any cat. one attachment on the 3pt. hitch. (Tillers being my favorite)
I know what you are thinking...I sell the things so ofcourse I would say that, but seriously if anyone wants a great price on any tractor, or just wants to talk "horn" give me a call. Cell is 319-404-1281 or 319-233-3553 at Waterloo Implement.

[ QUOTE ]
Ohh...and scrapping the sod off ahead of a raging out of control switchgrass fire...

[/ QUOTE ]

Aahhh, now that's something I can relate to. I may not have shared my "pre-tractor" story from a few years ago when the wind switched on me, but it sure sounds like I could have used a FEL on that one!
grin.gif

I really don't know why Pharmer is moving old swingsets around on a hunting farm.
confused.gif
Maybe he hunts differently from all the rest of us.
laugh.gif

IowaBruce - I will keep you in mind when the time comes... right now I am still "pooling" some funds and it is more of a wading pool than something you would want to dive into.
smile.gif
But the day is coming!

I Have a tractor with no FEL for sale if anyone is interested, It is a Massey Super 90 (70 Hp) Perkins diesel 4 cylinder 302 ci New tires (all 4) new radiator, new water pump, new batteries, new cables, new alternator, new starter, new seat, new clutch, new throw out bearing, replaced transmission, (8 speed manual- no multi power) new hydraulic lines, has one set of remotes off the back, only thing it needs is a power steering pump or the current pump rebuilt. All of this work was done in the spring of last year. If I was going to keep it I would paint it as well, but as you can tell it has to be right and work every time if I own it and everything I spoke of has been replaced and new. This thing runs awesome and starts on even the coldest days without even plugging it in. Make offer or trade for ? I want to give you guys at Iowa whitetail first chance otherwise its going to eBay next month. The only reason I'm selling it at all is that I Inherited a 4020 JD and don’t need two tractors for food plots and stuff. Tractor is located in West central Iowa is my cell. Thanks Mike

Last edited:
[ QUOTE ]
dbltree is my hero....

[/ QUOTE ]

Gee...you'd think that would at least be worth a hat!
grin.gif

Just think what a "poster boy" I could be for 790's then...Redneck style!
cool.gif

Top Bottom