Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Frost Level?

loneranger

Here is a question. With the bare ground, and Artic Blasts. How deep does the frost go? Just deeper and deeper, with every Blast of cold? As far as weather update,,guess everyone knows. More of the same. Narrow band of snow keeps falling from NE Iowa across Ill. Otherwise, west of this-DRY. East coast,,Snow storm after snowstorm. People there, and the Media, think the whole country is buried in snow. Fire weather watches from Western MO westward. Fires in Calif. Warm Dome over the Pacific, Deep Trough of cold over the Atlantic. Big thing with this is how long any weather pattern stays stuck. Used to vary some. Recent years,,if you get stuck in a pattern,,WEt, DRY,Cold, Warm,,you will have it for a L-O-N-G, Time!

Could be quite sometime to get this frost otta the ground come spring? Guess it just goes deeper and deeper. Even colder air now predicted next week than today! Fun to watch Conservatives and Liberals argue about Global Warming-Climate change, whatever. Republicans saying ,"I thought they said Global Warming?" Look at all the cold and snow on the east coast!" They fail to know record warmth is out in the Pacific and west Coast with virtually no or little snow on the Rockies. New York and Washington, do not represent the GLOBE. Whatever your opinion on this topic,,ignorance is being spewed on both sides!

I know some guys who dug up a water main break during the "polar vortex" and they said it was two feet deep in Ia City.

More Artic blasts coming,,may get froze down to 6 ft. MO-Weather Service says yet another record broken. Windiest Jan- ever on record!

No offense, I don't believe it can freeze to six feet considering that is double what it'll freeze here on a bad winter.

No offense, I don't believe it can freeze to six feet considering that is double what it'll freeze here on a bad winter.

That's due to all that snow you get! I doubt it will ever get that deep here as well. But without snow for insulation I bet its deeper here than there. At least it is possible.

One good thing from this, it might kill more ticks and chiggers? Will take some time when spring comes to thaw this ground out also!

That's due to all that snow you get! I doubt it will ever get that deep here as well. But without snow for insulation I bet its deeper here than there. At least it is possible.
Add dry soil conditions as well to contribute to a deeper frostline. Have heard of 4'+.

Last edited:
In northeast iowa frost was 3 to 4 ft deep. Just got a bunch more snow and horrible winds. below zero for few days. Goin to start taking its toll on wildlife.

The deepest I've seen is 6ft. That was in ND, probably 10yrs ago. Was freezing waterlines to everyone's houses in a little town we had a place in. It was a mess.

Was funny driving into DesMoines yesterday on I-80. Highway sign flashing Blizzard Warning over the expressway with Bare Ground. Forecast was for NE Iowa not DesMoines.

Top Bottom