Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Frost Line = Water issues

Wow, I hadn't thought of a frozen septic. I am told that the pipe is copper.

Woke a few minutes ago (night shift recoverey) to a dirt mound in one spot and charcole buring with a barel over it on another low spot (hillbilly possibility?). They must have heeaded to lunch. I am told that if they can pin point it they will use heat on each end to heat the pipe to thaw it out.

Day three with no water.:confused:

If your supply line is copper, which you should be able to confirm by looking in your basement where your water supply comes into the house. The pipe coming into the house should be the same material that goes out to your shutoff, with "should be" being the key phrase there. :D

If copper, then you can hook up a welder to your shutoff valve out by the road and then inside too on your pipe and run it at a low amperage. This technique can work, but whoever is doing it should be on top of things and know what they are doing so there are no problems.

However, if the freeze up is between the city main and your shutoff, this method will not help. There, I think

Not to worry you, but...having just heard that more record cold is expected next week AND knowing that a lot of Iowa got rain yesterday...I would be very eager to get that pipe thawed/fixed ASAP before more/bigger problems crop up when it gets stupid cold again.

If your supply line is copper, which you should be able to confirm by looking in your basement where your water supply comes into the house. The pipe coming into the house should be the same material that goes out to your shutoff, with "should be" being the key phrase there. :D

If copper, then you can hook up a welder to your shutoff valve out by the road and then inside too on your pipe and run it at a low amperage. This technique can work, but whoever is doing it should be on top of things and know what they are doing so there are no problems.

However, if the freeze up is between the city main and your shutoff, this method will not help. There, I think

Not to worry you, but...having just heard that more record cold is expected next week AND knowing that a lot of Iowa got rain yesterday...I would be very eager to get that pipe thawed/fixed ASAP before more/bigger problems crop up when it gets stupid cold again.

Unfortunately, they beleive that the freeze is between the shut off and the main, out on the roadway. We are now going on 6 days with no water.:( Frigid cold on the way and the pipe has not thawed. Still praying............

Unfortunately, they beleive that the freeze is between the shut off and the main, out on the roadway. We are now going on 6 days with no water.:( Frigid cold on the way and the pipe has not thawed. Still praying............

Friend of mine just spent all day, from yesterday morning until 4:30 A.M.
in the morning today. Finally freed up the line. Looks like it was 70 feet of line.
I think it was also between the shut off and the main.
Good luck Wayne. It does suck that the weather will not give us a break.

Can you get to the pipe that is frozen? Try to get something on that pipe that can be heated up. How far is the distance between your shut off and the main?

The latest technique being utilized is a portable Hotsy or similar brand/product power washer or steam producing machine that pumps hot water or steam down a long flexible hose of smaller diameter then your supply line, from inside the house, until it obviously thaws the frozen section. Just be sure you can shut the valve off further up the line so you can shut the water off when it finally breaks free. May be able to rent something but might have to purchase the extra long small diameter braided line. If you can dump a pile of snow over the length of the line to your house, adds protection from frost. And be sure to trickle water constantly, running water does not freeze. If on a septic system trickle it outside on the ground.

The latest technique being utilized is a portable Hotsy or similar brand/product power washer or steam producing machine that pumps hot water or steam down a long flexible hose of smaller diameter then your supply line, from inside the house, until it obviously thaws the frozen section. Just be sure you can shut the valve off further up the line so you can shut the water off when it finally breaks free. May be able to rent something but might have to purchase the extra long small diameter braided line. If you can dump a pile of snow over the length of the line to your house, adds protection from frost. And be sure to trickle water constantly, running water does not freeze. If on a septic system trickle it outside on the ground.

That's exactly what they are using in the morning. Sure hoping it works!!!!

Well, 16 days later we finally got water at 4pm today. Thank God for insurance!! They tried to thaw for a week with no luck. The insurance company had them quote a new line and decided they would rather put in a new line because they thought it might be cheaper and due to the unknown condition of the frozen lines. My deductible seemed high until I heard the $6600 bill for the attempted thaw and then new lines. Suddenly the deductible doesn't seem too bad.:)

I just took my first shower at home in some time. Sure felt great! I know my problem was not an insolated one as I have seen that many are without water around the state. My prayers go out to them. I know what they are going through.:confused:

Take care!

Top Bottom