Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

frost seed clover

Yes, worked great as far as clover germination. But you will likely have to deal with killing whatever you burned off. Because those plants will rested or start growing again this spring in most cases.

Unless you killed it with glyphosate & then burned the dead stuff off... ;) That works really well.

with the warm weather and rain coming, think it is better to wait for colder temps to throw seed down?

Can you over seed clover while frost seeding? I've seen 8lbs per acre as a rough guess. I'm doing a half acre but don't expect super high germination so I was thinking of over seeding a little bit.

Last edited:
Can you over seed clover while frost seeding? I've seen 8lbs per acre as a rough guess. I'm doing a half acre but don't expect super high germination so I was thinking of over seeding a little bit.

Yes, definitely. ^^ That is what I did last weekend. In fact, I had a clover field that was a little grassy and weedy, with some good, thick spots too, at the end of the season last year. Right now, where there were grasses coming on last year, you can still see the remnants of the brown(dormant) grass.

So I overseeded the whole plot, but went heavier where the dormant, but not dead yet, grass was evident. I will now wait for that grass to start growing again this spring and then whack it with clethodim.

So I have two pronged restoration strategy going...thicken the plot via frost seeding now and then spot attack the interfering grasses in another month or so. I am confident that this will be a near perfect stand of clover about 3 months from now.

I have a hidden plot that I started last year. I put oats in it last fall and they grew well. Not much sun light tho. I was wondering about putting clover in there. I am wondering if clover would grow very good with out a lot of sun? Like I said the oats grew well.

I have a hidden plot that I started last year. I put oats in it last fall and they grew well. Not much sun light tho. I was wondering about putting clover in there. I am wondering if clover would grow very good with out a lot of sun? Like I said the oats grew well.

In my experience, clover is your best bet with low sunlight levels. If you could grow oats, you could probably grow clover. But it is hard to say anything for sure without a better picture of the plot...at least for me. :D

deerhunter93, I don't think you can put too much clover seed down. You'd just be out some money. I just did half an acre with 6lbs, so basically double the typical rate. Cost is so low that now I'm feeling a little bad I didn't put even a few more lbs down, especially with several inches of rain coming. But I expect it to be fine.

Top Bottom