Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Frosty Berseem Clover vs Soybeans

LarryM

I learned about the frosty berseem clover variety this year and with my property in northern WI, I thought I would give it a try. It grew very well in my heavy soil and the deer love it! They are still pawing thru the snow to get at what's left and that is still green (Hasn't dropped below 15 degrees yet - changing now though.....).
I'm considering dropping the soybean plot next year in my rotation and replacing it with the berseem as it has high protein plus nitrogen fixing as well and will last much later into the fall.
Thoughts? I have to say that the deer preferred the berseem to Buck Forage oats as well this fall.

Haven't heard of this one, and looking for an option to soybeans in a plot next spring. Tell me more. Mow and bale? How often? Just curious...thanks!

NWBuck

All depends on the year. This year, no snow on me.... Hardly touch beans. Hitting ANY of my greens and corn harder this year. Rough winter, lots of snow, different story. So, just consider that what works in certain conditions/years, might not work in others. Why I do both. Berseem is simply a fast growing annual clover. "Frosty" is, likely a coating of some type so you can simply frost seed it. Where traditional Berseem you can't. What you have.... Clover, a good annual desirable clover. Downside, Berseem generally lasts only one year where others last 2 to heck.... 5, 7, 10 years & can interseed yearly. Similar attractiveness to: alfalfa, white clovers, some reds, Balansa, etc, etc. Clover should always be apart of the mix & it doesn't take a whole lot of room for it. An acre is quite large for example in MOST situations. No way I'd give up having a Buffet of options, greens, grains, etc. though.

NWBuck, Sligh1,

Here is a link on frosty berseem. Welters sells it as well. http://www.outsidepride.com/seed/clover-seed/berseem-clover-seeds.html
I usually get a frost in northern WI mid to late September and soybeans are cooked just as archery season opens. The frosty will still be green for quite awhile after.
Corn, oats, other clovers, peas and brassicas will remain in the rotation along with winter rye. The frosty can also be a green manure ahead of fall plantings.
It does need to be mowed or grazed down before blooming to keep growing.

Big fan of bean plots. Add in cereal grains OR radishes right when beans yellow and you are set up very well. I did both this year (beans w/ broadcasted rye & beans w/ broadcasted radishes). In either case there is a "surround" of clover. So, multiple options @ same plot location. Clover also seems to take some of the browse pressure off the beans early on.

Top Bottom