Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Frozen pee

I moved away from scents a long time ago. If you are freshening a scrape you are hunting over, the deer are probably visiting it already.

Scent drags to the stand? Big deer will pick up on your scent mixed with the bogus trail.

About the only thing I would possibly use is one of the scent drippers, but I'd rather focus on trails between "natural" scrapes.

I've dug up scrapes and clipped licking branches and trasplanted them to areas miles away with crazy results.
Basically just swap a big active field edge scrape from a different property. I wouldn't say that it is a super effective hunting strategy but it will light a fire under most of the bucks in each area, most of our trail cam videos are at night but occasionally a big guy will hit them during the day. Usually when I'm in a completely different area.

Rubber gloves are a must and I usually try to stay in the bed of my truck to do the whole process, I'm sure if you were scent cautious a little ground scent wouldn't hurt too much.

I'd say scents are 50-50 on working and hurting you. I personally have stayed away from them. Common sense has always told me if your running scents while your hunting, your looking for deer to come "down wind" of you since that is the only way your scent would be productive. If I am looking to make scrapes I start them now with my own urine and maybe some scrape starter only to spray onto the licking branches. Once you establish a licking branch over a mock scrape I just let the does do the rest of the work. Once you have their scent on the scrape your in business and the bucks will do the rest for you. I think "where" you place the mock scrape is more important that what you put on it scent wise.

I think I read somewhere (maybe on this site) where someone said they "harvest" fresh pee from each doe killed early. Not sure if they then freeze it or not, but thinking they said it works as a "free" source.

Top Bottom