Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Full Day hunts??? Input please

SuperDuty

been along time since I have been on this website couldn't believe remembered my password.

well I have been trying to pursue a buck I named king for 3 years now first seen him on nov 3rd 2013 working a scrape line 50yards from me on stand with thorn bushes between us. i hunted that farm hard trying to get him in range. no such luck and he disappeared again like normal. the following year only seen him pass by in a creek nov 12th 2014 then was gone again then as i suspected the farm i was hunting was leased to out of staters. for 2014 gun season and 2015 all seasons as i talked to fellow hunters in the area they talk of a giant whitetail that disappears come different seasons well i have tracked him 18 miles south of the original farm i first seen him and now he has become a public land deer. i am after this buck and have decided to try all day sits and trying to get some input on them. is it worth the sit? chances of him moving midday? doe or buck decoy? weird rant i know but after this warm 4 days i am going to be out hard after him again. thanks for any input

Sounds like an odd buck and a tough one to get. But regardless if you have the time and ability to hunt all day, its not even a question in my mind.

10351826_906482480444_7097565999219541172_n.jpg

11063891_906483488424_2373813106085401128_n.jpg

Last edited:
For what it's worth, all day sits should be reserved for when all conditions are right. Rut, moon, weather, etc. They are tough on the body and tough on the mind. Especially when the activity slows down.

On the other hand you can't harvest a deer if you are not afield. It sounds like the deer you are after has no discernible core area. The only way you are going to get a pattern on him is to get your butt in the stand where he has been seen and put the puzzle together. I'd get some trail cameras in the area as well to try and pin down where he is coming and going. Being on public land this makes it a bit sketchy that someone might make off with your property.

Like the others have said, the weather and time of the year starting Friday is prime time for all day sits. Best of luck.

All days can be good and you may be surprised how much you can see in the middle of the day if in the right spot. Like was stated though, it can be grueling if you are not seeing much.
Side note, I doubt it is the same deer let alone two bucks that have both moved 18 miles, imho.

I will be sitting all day for 10 days starting on friday. What's hard on the mind and body is working like a dog all year at work. Let alone all the sweat and time that goes into getting ready for each coming deer season.
Sitting in a tree is easy! really easy. Enjoying every bit of what I've worked for all year. "Lockdown", too hot, windy, rain.... I'll be in a tree or a blind for as many hours as possible! Takes alot to knock the smile off my face when I'm in a tree in November.
I advise everyone to stay as long as they possibly can as long as the wind is right for where your hunting. I've never killed a buck that was wearing a watch, it can happen at anytime. It's November fellas! Enjoy it

I agree, Friday is gonna tip the scales in out favor, at least up north, 30 degree temp change and rain stopping.. definitely all day. as far as now i guess i would still sit all day especially if you can get in early when its still cool, you never know what these guys are gonna do and if a hot doe is around???? my take is why wait to go sit if sitting is the plan, i never think its wasted time but thats just me.

I will be sitting all day for 10 days starting on friday. What's hard on the mind and body is working like a dog all year at work. Let alone all the sweat and time that goes into getting ready for each coming deer season.
Sitting in a tree is easy! really easy. Enjoying every bit of what I've worked for all year. "Lockdown", too hot, windy, rain.... I'll be in a tree or a blind for as many hours as possible! Takes alot to knock the smile off my face when I'm in a tree in November.
I advise everyone to stay as long as they possibly can as long as the wind is right for where your hunting. I've never killed a buck that was wearing a watch, it can happen at anytime. It's November fellas! Enjoy it

Agree 100% of everything said here. You have a great attitude. Even a slow day in the stand is better than any day at the office.

Top Bottom