Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Future of plots?

loneranger

I have just planted a variety of clovers on about 1 and a half acres. I am curious as to what to plant on it in a few yrs, or when the weeds finally overtake it? What do you plant after clover to boost up the soil again. I assume you can't just go over and over with clover without depleting the soil of something. Thanks.

[ QUOTE ]
I have just planted a variety of clovers on about 1 and a half acres. I am curious as to what to plant on it in a few yrs, or when the weeds finally overtake it? What do you plant after clover to boost up the soil again. I assume you can't just go over and over with clover without depleting the soil of something. Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's always best to rotate your plots/crops.

In the case of a legume such as clover or alfalfa, take advantage of the nitrogen produced and plant a "nitrogen lover" such as brassicas or small grains like wheat or rye.

Corn is the best one to follow legumes but it's not for most small "plotters".

Brassicas and winter grains are cheap and easy to rotate too and then replant clover the next year or frost seed it.

Don't forget to take advantage of the fact that you have a legume planted. You can maintain legumes with proper mowing and spraying, which will combat any grass issues coming up in your clovers.

I would agree, follow this up with a good brassica mix. The heavy forage and fast maturity usually chokes out weeds as well.

Top Bottom