Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

G5 Montec

iowaqdm

PMA Member
I am looking at getting some new fixed blade broadheads for elk hunting. I would like some input from those of you who have used one or more of these heads. I am looking at the G5 montec, Magnus Snuffer SS, and Steelforce Sabertooth. I will be using a 100gr head. I am looking for a head that is easy to tune and extremely durable. I have shot several deer with the steelforce sabertooths and had good luck, however all of these deer except one was shot with a 50lb recurve. These new heads will be shot from a compound on a 365-375 gr arrow (wt includes head)at around 275 fps. Any input would be appreciated.

I shoot the Snuffer SS on an arrow that is very close to yours weight wise, and I'm getting the same speed (274 fps). They fly great and every one (6) spun perfect for me. I shot 3 deer last year with them, and 2 with the same head. All pass throughs including my buck which was quartering really hard and had a LONG way to go before coming out the other side. They also are really easy to touch up. I don't really see too many people that say they use them, but I really like them and would recommend to anyone.

I think I am going to try the muzzy phantoms for elk this year, or the muzzy mx3's
smile.gif

Thanks timekiller for your response. Is anybody shooting the G5 montec? I would like to here some input on these as well.

I took them with me on my MN moose hunt. They seem like a great head. My only complaint was that they were extremely dull out of the box and I had a hard time keeping/achieving an edge on them.

I used to shoot them and had great sucess with them. I bought the G5 sharping stone and used it alot to get a sharp edge. 2 years ago I bought whole new bow setup and I could not get them to pattern worth a crap.

The only complaint I had when I used them was 2 of the tips got bent when I shot a deer.(at close range) I filed it down but couldn't get it exactly the way I wanted.

Waukon,
Did that sharpening stone get them hair cutting sharp? Did they keep an edge better with it? How much was it? Thanks

[ QUOTE ]
Waukon,
Did that sharpening stone get them hair cutting sharp? Did they keep an edge better with it? How much was it? Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

I could get them really sharp with the stone, but it took time. I didn't mind it. Kind of ritualistic sharpening your own broadheads before the hunt.

I see cablea's has them for $30
http://cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0020644415763a&type=product&cmCat=search&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&No=20&noImage=0&Ntt=G5&Ntk=Products&QueryText=G5&Ntx=matchall&N=4887&Nty=1

I still use the stone to sharpen my knives. I'm sure I could get them sharper using something else, but as stated above, to me it's part of the experience.

I agree with all the above on the G5's. They fly great for me and are an extremely tough head. You might bend one if you try hard enough, but you sure arent going to lose any blades. Tough to get ultra sharp, but the deer didnt mind.

Guys-
I had a little trouble getting the blades on the Snuffers super sharp with that G5 stone also. Especially if the blades were dulled down from targets.

I got the G5 stick sharpener and that thing rocks. About 3 strokes on each blade is all it takes. I used it on my practice heads also just to see how little or how much it would take to get them back to razor sharp and it didn't take much. Only about 5-6 strokes each. That thing is great and much easier to use than the stone. Give it a try.

I can get boxes of any head on the market---G5 montec 100 gr are the most accurate and lethal I have found.I do shoot a relative low poundage bow and find the penatration of montec superior to any blade out there-and talk about tough.Shot one through a tin shed , ran it over a stone and right back in business.

Top Bottom