Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Gamebird Plot

streitl

What sort of seed do you guys plant for game birds - turkey, pheasant, quail? I'd like to do about an acre and just not sure what I should do. I thought about maybe ordering something from NWTF or PF. I feared some of those commercial seed mixes only sell because they have a picture of a bird on it. I was thinking of something like sorghum. I already plant a few acres of the dbltree mix and a separate plot of soybeans. Just curious if anyone had an opinion.

I hunted some sorghum/milo plots down around Sigourney in the mid '80's that were awesome! Tons of pheasants in there.

Dog came out with a bleeding mouth from "grass cuts" though.

I put in about an acre of the PF winter blend sorghum on one of our pieces last year, and the pheasants were thick in it throughout the season! Weed control is a bit more of an issue due to the fact that it's not RR, but it wasn't too bad. After it was fully mature and headed out, we mowed a couple strips through it so it was a little more huntable. Although the plot was primarily intended for pheasants, I was surprised how much deer sign was in it as well. Good luck!

NWBuck

Sorghum is the ticket for pheasants

It will draw birds in from long ways in late season too

I bought a bag of Milo/forage soybean mix from Welters last year that was awesome! Deer will love it too. Like Skip said, a clover mix perimeter would attract alot of bugs for the chicks.

Top Bottom