Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

geocaching?

Deaner

Being that we are between seasons I thought I would bring this topic up. I was wondering if anyone on Iowawhitetail is into Geocaching? My daughter and I are starting to get into it. We bought a GPS at cabela's last week. I thought I could combine shed hunting with geocaching.

hoofline.gif

Sorry, I had to look that one up. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

From Wikipedia Encyclopedia:

Geocaching is an outdoor treasure-hunting game in which the participants use a Global Positioning System (GPS) receiver or other navigational techniques to hide and seek containers (called "geocaches" or "caches") anywhere in the world. A typical cache is a small waterproof container containing a logbook and "treasure," usually toys or trinkets of little value. Today, well over 540,000 geocaches are registered on various websites devoted to the pastime. Geocaches are currently placed in over 100 countries around the world and on all seven continents, including Antarctica.

hoofline.gif

Would you like more information about becoming an iowawhitetail PMA or Life Member? >>>>> Details Here!<<<<<

That sounds awesome, wish I knew about that when I was in Italy. Nowadays I'd be lucky if I made out of Iowa on a weekend.

Geocaching is a new name for what the top shed hunters have been using for quite some time. Here's a sneak, private look at the GPS system Chris Ellis uses.
672.gif

415.jpg

Seriously, a coworker is pretty involved in it. He was riding with friends to the Cabelas in KC last year from Ne. And as they were pulling into the parking lot, he's yelling STOP! Got out and found the cache in Cabelas lot.

Deernut,
Thought about your thread when I saw this article.

April 03. 2008 10:11PM
GPS game offers thrill of a hunt
By Orlan Love
The Gazette
orlan.love@gazettecommunications.com

The Linn County Conservation Department, as part of its 50th anniversary this year, has undertaken a geocache game in which 50 caches will be hidden in county areas for people to find.

Geocaching, a game in which participants use Global Positioning System receivers to hide and find caches, is a great way for people to expand their outdoor activities and discover new places while enjoying the thrill of the hunt, said Dennis Goemaat, deputy director of the Conservation Department.

Local members of the Iowa Geocachers Organization will be placing the caches over the course of the year on county areas, Goemaat said. Each month a featured cache will include clues used to discover the final cache of the year.

"Geocaching gives me an opportunity to see many great natural areas and scenery that I would otherwise miss," said Jeff Goodson of Hiawatha, a member of the Iowa Geocachers, who placed one of the 50th anniversary caches last week at the J. Harold Ennis Preserve near Mount Vernon.

"The neat thing about it is that most caches are placed in areas that someone considers special and wants to share with others," said Goodson, who has placed 41 caches and found 1,065 since he started geocaching more than three years ago.

For some people, including himself, finding caches is a lot like bird-watchers' life lists, Goodson said. "You always want to keep adding to it," he said.

Participants go to http://www.geocaching.com to get a cache's latitude and longitude coordinates, plug them into their GPS receiver, then follow the unit's directional arrow and its foot-by-foot distance countdown to the treasure.

The caches usually consist of trinkets and a log for recording visits. Geocachers typically take a trinket to commemorate the find and replace it with another trinket. Most geocachers also practice "Cache In Trash Out," a policy of removing any trash they find on their visits.

Geocaching, essentially a nature hike with a purpose, also provides exercise and a chance to spend time with family, said Goodson, who often seeks caches with his three children.

The sport started in 2000 shortly after the removal of government restrictions that limited the accuracy of hand-held GPS receivers, and geocaching has since become the leading reason people buy GPS units, according to Goodson.

"We like it from the standpoint that it reaches out to younger, more technology-oriented people and gets them active in the outdoors," Goemaat said.

The latest cache sites can be found at http://www.iowageo cachers.org

Top Bottom