Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

getting a deer hide tanned

cwing

Hope someone here can help me. This is my first year of deer hunting. I bagged my first doe with a bow on the second day of the season. The first day I watched them all walk by and couldn't believe that I could've had one, I was OHH stuck. Even when you don't get one it is sooo peacefull sitting in a tree wathcing and listening to nature. Anyway, I want a buck and a another doe. and my wife wants a deer hide rug really bad. I spoke with Rick and Whitakers and I know I will have him do the mount for my buck but I really want a rug. Does anyone know of a tannery that will do a deer hide for me? Thanks in advance.

Chris

If you want a rug be sure the place that tans it will do a hair on tan. Otherwise you'll just get a plain pice of leather back.

The 'Bonker

I use usa foxx in duluth minnesota. They do garment tanning and the hides come back soft as cloth. The last ones I had done cost $39 for tanning and $20 for return shipping. They have prices and instructions on their website.

garment tanning (i believe) is not a rug. if you want a rug be sure to specify you want it tanned with the hair on, like bonker said. many (not all) taxidermists send their hides to be tanned off site. ask around and see who they suggest

I send all of my capes & furs to Advantage Furdressers in Timball Texas. Very reasonable prices, quick turnaround and good work.

I use USA Foxx Furs in Duluth too. They have done a really nice job on everything I have sent. I have not had them do a deer, yet. I would specifically tell them you want the hair on (they do it both ways) and tell them it's for a rug. I actually want one garment tanned (really soft) to lay over a table.
Check their website and even call them and they can tell you all you need to know.

Top Bottom