Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Getting Started

charbs82

Hey all,

I have been a shotgun deer hunter for a lot of years now and want to take on the next challenge. I'm trying to get set up for bowhunting. I have shot very few bows in my lifetime and am curious if anybody has any suggestions on where to start. Any info and or suggestions on where to begin my new adventure would be great. Thanks all!

Get yourself to a local archery dealer and tell them what you are looking to do. Most of these guys have beginners come in to their stores all the time. It looks like you live in Central Iowa so you should have some pretty good options.

Go find yourself a good helpful archery shop. They are usually more than willing to help a newcomer. Let them help find a nice fit for a bow, important IMO. Ask questions on IWT. There's some awesome bowhunters here that can just plain shoot.

theres a elite gt500 for sale right now on iwt, its priced pretty decent and is a great bow. my tip for you is too shoot all of them and see what you like.

I started to shoot some today. I have a 30 draw so a lot were not a good fit but I could still get the overall feel. I have noticed a lot on places like craigslist for decent prices but I'm not that confident in them just for the fact that who knows if they have been well taken care of.

Never buy a bow that you can't shoot first.You will be a lot happier buying a bow from a good archery shop with a range then you will be buying a used bow sight unseen.Even if you want to save money and buy a used one,a good pro shop that takes trades and has a selection to shoot and choose from is the best place to start.

Top Bottom