Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Ghost Buck

Ghost

Life Member
My all day hunt ended at 2:30 Saturday November 6th. Story to follow.
grin.gif

8372004buck.jpg

This year I knew it was going to be extemely hard to find the time that I needed to spend in the tree. I planned on spending every daylight hour in the tree on Saturday and Sunday since my "rut vacation" was not workable.

In the morning I saw a basket 8 and a few does. At 11:00 I decided to slip into the creek bottom and make my way to a different stand. This ridge stand was full of Black Oaks and between the deer, turkeys and squirrels it was pretty ripped up. Not long after noon I spotted a nice buck crusing out about 80 yards. The wind was blowing and he would not respond to any efforts at grunting or doe bleats.

At 2:00 I decided to eat the peanut butter sandwich I had packed in my zipper pocket. I would have given a hundred dollars for a cold busch light at this point. I was 60 degrees and the chunky peanut butter just wasn't going down so great. I heard the leaves crunch behind me and slowly turned to see if it was still the flock of turkeys that had been ripping the leaves apart all afternoon. It was a buck crusing up the next ridge. I toss my half eaten sandwich onto my stand platform and dig for my doe bleat call. The first bleat stopped him and the second brought him in on a string.

The shot was one of the best I have ever made on a deer with a bow. He had no idea what had happened. He made three quick jumps and stood still 30 yards from my stand. I could see a perfect hit and he started to widen his stance and his head started doing circles. I realized I had stepped on my sandwich but I wasn't hungry anymore anyway. What a great hunt!

He was directly down wind at the time of the shot. I had scent blocker plus and a generous spray down with the ghost spray.

Never overlook mid day hunting, lot of mid-day activity right now.

Good luck to everyone!

The Peanut Butter Buck. Bring em in every time. Great job buddy, maybe you should plan a heavy work schedule for next year as well. NOT!
applause.gif

It was a great buck, great hunt and well deserved for the amount of time you had to hunt. I am happy for you bud. I just need a little bit of luck to float my way now..... great job!!!!

Top Bottom