Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Giant Landowners- Hunters like you?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bowmaker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I guess that I have developed a real attitude against most of the people who have taken a sport that means a lot to me, and commercialized it as a business that is rapidly driving me out of that sport.</div></div>

Which sport isn't?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bowmaker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">To say that these Business Men Hunters are just hunters like you and me is ridiculous. That is like saying that Michael Jordan is just a basketball player just like Joe who plays at the YWCA twice a week in a league. </div></div>

Being athletic doesn't has nothing to do with this. Being a good hunter takes knowledge and skill and to a lesser extent money. If one really puts his mind to it, the money issue can be managed. We all can acquire the knowledge and skill. The only thing that separates me fromt the Drury groups is money but that doesn't make me any different than them. We all would probably do exactly what they have done to some degree if we had the money and could quit our day job.

not to pick on you Bowmaker, /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

but if commercialization is "driving you out of the sport" why not quit now and save yourself the trouble???

the level of commercialization that you are having issues with is only going to increase.... and that is business and IT IS NOT WRONG

baseball started off as just a passtime and probably a passion! can you play in a church softball league and enjoy it??? i think so! but now you can make 16 million a year as a pro... is that wrong too??? i think not

i just think criticizing an industry that provides you with all your toys is hypocritical.

unless you make your own bows, arrows, arrow heads, tan your own leathers, make your own boots, and get to your hunting areas via a horse-drawn buggy.... you have nothing to complain about.

again, no disrespect intended.

Guys, I can promise you DRURY'S EARNED THEIR REPUTATION!

They didn't have any more land than anyof you/us when they started filming. The got to where they are by being smart business people, and great hunters. They may be a little different now, but they started with a dream. Much like I have.

If you lose respect for someone who busts their but to get ahead in their career then your outlook on life is merely sad!

I respect them for chasing a dream, making it happen, and reaping the rewards!!!

Thatis like saying I have no respect for Trump, because he has tons of money. He earned it, just like drury's and kisky's and hopefully many more to come!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THA4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">not to pick on you Bowmaker, /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

but if commercialization is "driving you out of the sport" why not quit now and save yourself the trouble???

the level of commercialization that you are having issues with is only going to increase.... and that is business and IT IS NOT WRONG

baseball started off as just a passtime and probably a passion! can you play in a church softball league and enjoy it??? i think so! but now you can make 16 million a year as a pro... is that wrong too??? i think not

i just think criticizing an industry that provides you with all your toys is hypocritical.

unless you make your own bows, arrows, arrow heads, tan your own leathers, make your own boots, and get to your hunting areas via a horse-drawn buggy.... you have nothing to complain about.

again, no disrespect intended.</div></div>

DITTO.

I think the root of this question lies in the view of the have's and have not's. JMO, but we really shouldn't be making judgements on others (groups like the Drurys)intentions. Take what resources you have and make the best of it and don't look back. Life will be much simpler this way.

Everyone has an opinion on the Drurys and i personally know a guy that films some of the videos and all i WILL say is douchebag!!!!

Not that the rest of the guys are. If i ran an operation like the Drurys, I wouldn't want or let someone like that work for me unless i was the same way. No disrespect intended to the Drurys.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i just think criticizing an industry that provides you with all your toys is hypocritical.

</div></div>

Huh? I don't follow this logic at all.

I can remember buying all of the hunting gear I needed long before there was "commercialization" in the form of celebrity hunters and videos and so forth.

Advertising drives the economy. So if advertisers give money to hunters to promote their products fine. The best part of America is you still get the choice to buy what you want! I don't shoot PSE because Drury's do! I shot them when Drury shot hoyt. Did they switch for money? maybe, do I care? Nope?

If Martin made a Bow specifically for me, I'd promote the crap out of it and would certainly shoot it!

All I am saying is that everything is commercialized and it isn't that bad of thing. It gives you information to assist you in purchasing.

For instance;
Drury's had penetration problems with rage broadheads while shooting hoyts and many people talked about rages being bad becuase they didn't penetrate.

Now while shooting PSE bow they are not having penetration issues, and the rage problem has gone away and PSE sales have gone up....

Called good business!

Also, "Pick up your new Penetrating PSE at Double A Archery today!"

Note: the last comment is a joke to lighten the mood.. Have fun guys, this is a website! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Doubleaarchery</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Also, "Pick up your new Penetrating PSE at Double A Archery today!"</div></div>

I call that for what it is....COMMERCIALIZING!!! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Daver</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Huh? I don't follow this logic at all. </div></div>

confused.gif

case in point
/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/whistle.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BuckStop</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Doubleaarchery</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Also, "Pick up your new Penetrating PSE at Double A Archery today!"</div></div>

I call that for what it is....COMMERCIALIZING!!! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif </div></div>

/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif And a solid cheap advertisment!!!! LOL /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

I come from N Mi,,where the public land was hunted hard,,along with fourwheeler trails,,small game hunters,poachers,everyone and his brother. I got so tired of not seeing anything,,I booked a hunt to Blk Hills of S Dakota. a cattle Ranch,,that took only a few hunters for extra cash. 3 thousand acres! I was the first bow hunter they had ever had. What an eye opening experience! The deer there were not fenced,,no food plots. Yet they were almost as tame as cattle. First nite they placed me on a pail against a tree, with fresh pine boughs cut and piled around my feet. This was their idea of a "blind". Deer paraded out 2 hrs before dark,,walking right past me not 30 yrds away. Does,fawns,small bucks. Some were curious,,most gave little notice. I had two nice bucks in front of me for an hr but 60 yrds away. When they came to pick me up I told them they had to get me up in a tree,,out there where there were some acorns under these scabby oak trees. that is where the majority of the deer were going. Next day they took me out,,drove truck right up to trees,,put stand up in tree with aluminum ladder to get up tree. They cut some pine boughs out of the way. Left boughs piled nearby,,along with ladder. Up in stand I said,"You can't leave that stuff there,,I can't hunt here tonight, it was 1pm at the time,,There has been too much disturbance here". Don't worry they said,,the deer won't care. They were right,,the deer paraded out about the same time,,some stepped right over the fresh pine boughs, showed litle care. deer were like cattle. I could not believe my eyes. Just an example of what you can see if you have enough land and keep the deer undisturbed!! It was worth the trip. Those cowboys could not believe my stories of myspooky MI deer. So I came to Iowa. Deer alot less spooky than N MI. I only have 40 acres,,well,,actually 38. Between my one neighbor and his fourwheeler, and cows,and kids and the other neighbor and their 10 mostly loose dogs,,which I have to solve,,I am thankfull for the couple 2 yr old bucks I see a season. It is not an even playing field, to be sure,,but if I had the$$ I'd probably do the same as deer hunters that do have the$$$. A once family pass time has been comercialized,,but then,,what hasn't?!

The thing that bothers me about "commercialization" is I don’t know if the person shilling for any particular product is doing so because he likes it and it works or he is getting paid to sell it.

Honestly, how many of us have purchased something because it was endorsed by or had a famous person’s name on it? Back when I was a kid I saved my lawn mowing money and bought a Mickey Mantle signature bat. Not an autographed bat, but the one with his name burned into the head. I was sure it was gonna make me a home run hitter. It didn’t. I learned my lesson way back then that just because somebody endorses a product, doesn’t mean it’s gonna make you any better at what ever you are trying to do.

It bothers me that hunters act like sheeple*, flocking to the latest and greatest product to be endorsed by the latest and greatest celebrity hunter. Unfortunately for me, if I think something is over hyped, even if it’s the best thing since a sharp pointed stick, I won’t buy it.

I respect the celebrity hunters for achieving their version of the American Dream, but I lose some of that respect when they try to sell me stuff just because selling it has become, perhaps unforunately, a part of their dream and not necessarily a part of mine.

* “Sheeple” is a copyrighted word and used without permission of JNRBRONC LLC Inc. Co. whose new video “How to ‘Bronc a Buck or How a ‘Bronc Makes a Buck” should be in stores any day now.

The ‘Bonker

How much land is alot is in the EYES of the person. I think hunting 100 acres is alot! I would be excited if I could double my acreage aand that would be 80.

All right guys, I really do understand what you are saying, but again I respectfully disagree. THA4, yes I dislike the commercialization of hunting, but the main idea of my reply was the original question 'Are the guys that own and hunt 2500 acres hunters just like you and I". These people are not. I picked on the Drurys simply because they are recognizable and there have been several threads here about them and the way they hunt and film on their land. I don't dislike them because they have more money than I do or because they haven't earned it. I think that the remark about commercialization driving me out is pretty hard to explain, and especially to someone who sees nothing wrong with it, but I don't think I am quite ready to throw in the towel. We have had several discussions about hunting access and problems with NR landowners and leases and outfitters and I see this as a direct result of this commercialization. I shot my first deer about 1973 and there were no hunting leases in SE Iowa, and little if any recreational land owned by non-residents solely for deer hunting. Because of many of these hunting videos and promotions that has changed to the point that if you want to hunt in the future you better be willing and able to hand over $2000 or $3000 per acre for land to hunt on pay about $100 per acre to lease it. Time after time there are posts here about loosing hunting ground and even a request for info about loosing hunting land to help the lobbing efforts of the IBA, which was a good thing. There is more and more pressure every year to increase the NR license quotas. Even the cost of a deer license has increased to the point that many have said that they can't afford it any more. These are all a direct result of the over commercialization that I spoke of and are making it more of a challenge for me to continue deer hunting.

What kind of bow do I shoot? A wooden selfbow that I made from a hickory tree from my farm. I also do make my own arrows and quivers, and guards and shooting tabs. I have tanned deer hides and made moccasins, but I am sorry I don't have a buggy but have ridden horses to hunt. Mostly I just walk out the paths I mow in my fields to the timber, but I do use a Deer to mow them.

What kind of camo? Mostly what ever Walmart has on clearance after the season is over.

What kind of truck? A Ford F150, which I sell to make a living and pay for my farm and hunting licenses.

Just because something is business doesn't' mean that it isn't wrong. I don't know what you do for a living, but if your job, and along with it that whole segment of jobs, were outsourced to China would that be wrong? Some times my analogies aren't real clear, but if something directly impacted your way of life in a big negative way just so someone else could benefit in a big way would it be ok? If some one put up a huge hog confinement right next to your $400,000 house and now you can't sell it but still have to make payments and pay taxes, would it be ok if it was just business?

Buckstop, my comparison with Michael Jordan had nothing really to do with athletics, but rather the "job" aspect to it. Jordan's job was to be the best basketball possible, and to that end the Bulls paid him huge money to train, practice, learn, and generally enhance the skills he already had. By purchasing the videos and sponsors products of the Drurys, we are paying them to do the same thing. We are paying them to learn what food plots to put in and where. We are paying them to understand how their land works and how the deer live on it and where and how to relate that to the finished product, the hunting video. If each of us could also be paid to do the same things, I am confident that the majority of us could do just as good a job, but we can't because we have other jobs. Those jobs and responsibilities keep us from doing all those things to gain the knowledge and skill that they are able to gain. So I don't think they are just hunters just like us. I am not saying that they are bad people, or that I might not have done the same thing, but I am saying that I don't like what has and is happening to hunting in Iowa because of them and others. I am sure that they didn't start out with intentions of displacing the small time recreational deer hunter, but I see that as the upcoming result.

There certainly is no disrespect taken or given in any of these posts, just a sharing of viewpoints from reasonable people who all really love hunting. Thank goodness that God made us all a little different so that we share ideas.

bowmaker dont feel alone....I understand what you are saying 100%.

$ you need to be careful with blanket statements that get you in over your head sometimes. All things in life are open to debate and this area is no exception. What "you" feel is not wrong is a personal opinion and vice versa.

Bottom line is simple for me. You dont have to dog on any "professional" in the "industry" to realize what commercialization has meant for the average hunter. Just simply look at the number of people on this site alone who have MORE private ground to hunt today than they did 5 years ago. I bet its a small percentage and those with more are likely paying for it.

I for one am dang near a pure State Land guy anymore....it is really sad. The few places that I hunt that are private are bleeding out more and more every year often over very petty things out of my control.

Moreover, the politics involved with keeping some of these old haunts viable hunting grounds hardly justifies continuing to even hunt most of them.

This is essentially what bowmaker was getting at I think and I couldn't agree more.

However, $ is right that it wont get any better, so I suppose it doesn't pay to cry over spilt milk. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Lastly, given what you do for a living Thomas, you are hardly an unbiased source of opinion here. Don't worry though bud. I still love ya! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

I understand there are a few out there, but going back to the first post, who shoots a deer for the publicity?

I'm sure most guys do it for the outdoor experience.

I dunno guys but I'm with Bowmaker on this one. I've said many times in the past how I feel about the video and huntin' show business and prolly rubbed some friends here the wrong way so I've kept my opinions on that to myself since. I guess I just won't help fund thier next piece of land is how I look at it.

TV hunting personalities I enjoy. (Even though I don't watch to much)

The Nug: His show is one long commercial but he says it like it is.

Waddell: He's talks funny.

Tred Barta: A millionaire but he's funny also.

TV hunting personalities I don't enjoy:

Jackie Bushman: Huntings biggest joke

Bill Jordan: Mllionaire with as big a ego to match

The rest I really don't have any opinion and really don't care anyway.

Top Bottom