Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

gillie suit

rookie10pt

I was thinking about getting a gillie suit and just sitting on the ground for next years hunt. I spent a little time in a blind and didn't like it. Just wondering what you guys think? What are the pros and cons?

Give it a try! I have a couple suits, The one I use most is the Ultralight Ghille from Cabelas. The brown one not the green one. That blends in with grass, cornstalks, etc best. And this jacket has all synthetic materials so it wont mildew or hold odors like Burlap. And most of the time I just wear the jacket. All the pants are really good for is picking up sticks and leaves. Just make sure you remove all the material that will interfere with your bowstring, and practice with it on. I think deer are more likely to ignore you with a ghille suit than a ground blind anyways. Good luck!

Those cabelas leafy suits are awesome. I stalk around all the time turkey hunting with a bow and have no issues shooting.

Those cabelas leafy suits are awesome. I stalk around all the time turkey hunting with a bow and have no issues shooting.

Could be wrong but I believe there is a big difference between the cabelas leaf suits and a Gilly suit.

There is a huge difference between the two. The leafy suit works just as good. I have had deer and one old coyote mere feet away from me. The ghillie suit isn't going to look good in an Iowa timber in late october. A leafy suit would look better then. IN the corn and grass then the ghillie suit would win.

I remember this one year I was tracking a buck a buddy shot and he set up on the end of the woodlot just in case it walked by. He was wearing a leafy suit. I kid you not I walked right by him at 10 feet as he sat next to a tree. I didn't notice him at all. It was crazy.

Buy both, they are cheap enough...

I made a gillie suit out of a vest by cutting slits in it then tying strips of burlap, camo burlap and old camo into it. It is way cheaper than buying one and you can customize it for the terrain you hunt in. I don't think pants are necessary if you are sitting and I found that a vest works best because your arms are free. I got winded by some does this year and they couldn't pinpoint my exact spot, so it definitely works if you watch when you move. The negative with mine is that it is extremely hot due to all the layers on it and it snags on every little stick, fence and burr that is in the timber.
I also have a leafy outfit from cabela's and think it works just as well as my gillie suit when it comes to concealment. Both will break up your sillouette fairly well in my opinion, but they aren't a free pass get away with a whole lot more movement than you would normally make in typical camo.

-Ike

Just whatever camo hunting pants you have that are quiet and comfortable. I dont get hung up to much about patterns. I killed a lot of deer in brown carhartts when I was a lot younger and didn't know any better. I definately would not wear blue jeans. There is a reason survivalists call it death cloth.

I would think a leafy suit or guilliy suit would snag and grab ahold of every branch or thorn out there.

Just an observation.

Don't knock it until you have tried it

I used to use one and it worked fine. I had the Cabelas one - not the leafy suit but the ghillie (in brown):
s7_932517_renderset_02

There is something to be said about going "comando" while wearing one. But to be honest - I have had just as much luck in Predator fall brown. I have arrowed two deer at less than 5 yards with both styles, on the ground and not in a blind. We all know it is movement that gives us away as well as confidence. So I say do what works for you and give the ghillie suit a try - they are not that exspensive and Cabelas will take it back!

Top Bottom