Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

glyphosate 1/2 strength?

bjkpharmd

Once upon a time I had a link about spraying 1/2 strength glyphosate over pasture or brome CRP to encourage or reduce competition and let what natives were there grow. I think it was the Missouri Department of Conservation but I searched their site and can't find it. Anyone know the proper time of year to do use this method? Guessing early spring or late fall but didn't know if the publications ranked one time as best.
Help?

[ QUOTE ]
Once upon a time I had a link about spraying 1/2 strength glyphosate over pasture or brome CRP to encourage or reduce competition and let what natives were there grow. I think it was the Missouri Department of Conservation but I searched their site and can't find it. Anyone know the proper time of year to do use this method? Guessing early spring or late fall but didn't know if the publications ranked one time as best.
Help?

[/ QUOTE ]

I do it all the time in very early spring when the cool seasons are just starting to green up and the WSG is still dormant. You might not want to take my word for it and spray the whole darn place...but I haven't killed mine yet
grin.gif

I have also done early burns and sprayed at the first greenup of the cool seasons.

This year I had maybe 10 gallons of RUP in the sprayer tank (100 gallon tank) and I refilled it with 2-4D to kill goldenrod in some switchgrass. I figured it would be so weak it wouldn't bother. (this is June and the switch was growing) it did burn the switch but didn't kill it, so I wouldn't want to try it when the WSG is actively growing.

The early spring spraying I used only a couple pints per acre. I find on young, green growing plants, it takes very little RUP to kill it. It's the older brome and fescue that needs a "full load"
smirk.gif

Do keep in mind that mine is all switchgrass or NWSG...not an old stand of brome, so if no natives are there...you might "release" a nice stand of Bonkers RR thistles!
grin.gif

What happens on mine is the birdsfoot trefoil explodes to life!

Top Bottom