Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Gone for good?

Thinkin Rut

PMA Member
I haven't heard from Nannyslayer since his One nation under God thread. Did he join the long list of contributors to the site that leave and never return?

Doubtful. He still posts in the Whitetail Mafia, but I'm with ya on a lot of members vanishing over the last couple years....

It seems to be the natural progression of forums. They start out very informative and in a manner of a few years (sometimes shorter in a few cases) they turn into fights and a lot of opinion spewing. The regular contributors get sick of it and quit posting. You used to be able to search and find a lot of good information and several forums. So, it's not like Iowa Whitetail is the only one. It takes an iron fist as a moderator to keep most of the fluff out. Sad progression if you ask me...I use forums for research on alot of different things...not just hunting & fishing related.

A lot of people have quit posting. I tend to not post as much anymore either as it seems to be a very, "my opinion is the only one that matters site anymore". We dont tend to get much free speech, as the certains think its gotta be there way or no way... so whats the hassle... I still lurk, post once in awhile..but I wont bother with much anymore...

Opinions and egos. Its all about what you can handle. If you cant take someone criticizing your opinion than keep it to yourself. Kind of childish IMO. Everyone is on this website because they enjoy hunting whitetails, and although there beliefs may be different it doesnt make it wrong. There is still a lot of positive information to be gained from this site if you sort through the negativity.

Nanny hasn't been posting because he's been too busy tracking down and evaluating coondogs for me.

I'll throw my.02 in and say people don't post here because it got to be too much of an elitist site. The only posts that get more than 5 replies are ones that bash non residents, ones that bash the neighbors for shooting 3.5 year old deer, and ones that try to figure out why IW sucks now.
Why would anyone want to post here? The admins don't even post here anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using IW

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
The only posts that get more than 5 replies are ones that bash non residents, ones that bash the neighbors for shooting 3.5 year old deer, and ones that try to figure out why IW sucks now.

First off, you forgot the posts bashing outfitters and any type of commercialization of hunting. As far as the Admins/Mods go, I find it saddening that some rarely post anymore, unless they killed something. It's really too bad because when I originally joined this site I learned a lot from some who no longer post, and now they are nowhere to be found.

Also, you're spot on in terms of replies back to posts. I have seen some great posts throughout the past few years, some get replies, some not so much, but as soon as the first post gets posted thats controversial, users who rarely post nor share anything come out of the woodwork. It's somewhat frustrating for me, even though I know I shouldn't let something as silly as a website bother me.

opinions

I had a doctor tell me at a poker table one night that opinions are like a-holes everyone has got one!

He's no longer here.. Thats an alias. He told me that he is never coming back again. He is taking his ozonics, and his clinometer and going to continue to kill big deer in secret.

He has taken up late season goose hunting and is just to busy.

Just some thoughts from someone that has participated in this forum for a little over 10 years now...

There have certainly been some top flight people that posted here frequently in the past but do so rarely nowadays and I too miss seeing their contributions. But there has also been a good number of new people that have joined the group and there is always going to be some "churn". The "absence factor" is often due to the demands of raising a family and work pressures and in time these things subside somewhat and I would not be surprised to see some former posters "reappear" once life settles down for them. In the meantime, it is up to all of us to make this site worthwhile for ourselves and others.

For me, I welcome conversation where there are different points of view expressed, but I have grown up enough that I don't "need" to spend my time arguing/fighting with someone over the internet. So I pretty much don't, but I also do not tolerate someone "shouting" or coming across in a "my way is right, therefore your way is wrong" style at me either.

Now 20 years ago I could see myself as someone that probably would have been quite willing to "throw down" with anyone that I disagreed with. I do see that in some that do post here and for the most part, they are relatively young(25-35) and I suspect they may grow and mature too in time and be far less likely to rip on others who have a different opinion.

I think it is up to each of us to help police the rules of the site and to discourage those that seek to dominate or belittle others. You can disagree without being disagreeable and we should hold each other to that standard.

This post has brought back some memories of a class I had to take when I returned to college as the oldest person in almost every class. It was a persuasive writing class and we had to write a paper early on in the class and then spent the entire term rewriting and redoing that paper to change the attitude and tone and content of the points and making it more persuasive and less argumentative. It was a real eye opener for me. My paper was a real attack on the PETA movement and others like it and was pretty darn good, or at least I thought it was. This was in about 1988 when they were really vocal and in the news all the time and I was about 40 years old. Because of the passion of that paper and the tone of it, the instructor has me read it to the class and I thought I was really big cheese until it became more of an example of what not to do rather that what to do.:thrwrck:
Over the next 2 months or so I learned how to persuade rather than what I already did well, argue. If you think about it I would feel certain that you have never really won an argument by being the loudest and most out spoken with an "in your face attitude". It doesn't matter what the subject or the opposition was, you never really convinced the other side that your position was correct. This seems to be the case with some of the things that happen on here and other boards. I have been told many times over the years that I am opinionated and am not opposed to expressing that if called upon. I try to not get so high handed and don't turn things into personal attacks just because my opinion differs from others, as unfortunately I have seen on some of these boards. We should also all be able to express our feelings with out having to fall back on foul language either actual or hidden by xxxx or something else with the expressed meanings of profanity. This venue is indeed meant to exchange ideas and thought and real information on out door subjects and we should all be able to do that respectfully. No one should be concerned about being BLASTED or FLAMED or any thing else just for expressing their feelings on a subject relating to the outdoor life that we all enjoy and want to be able to pass on to future generations.:way:

Nanny hasn't been posting because he's been too busy tracking down and evaluating coondogs for me.

I'll throw my.02 in and say people don't post here because it got to be too much of an elitist site. The only posts that get more than 5 replies are ones that bash non residents, ones that bash the neighbors for shooting 3.5 year old deer, and ones that try to figure out why IW sucks now.

It's still a great place to keep up on politics....I just don't tell anyone I like to shoot 3.5 y/o deer.:way:

I think we should bring back Moose270. He always made things interesting and even made Muddy poop yellow.........:drink2:

Top Bottom