Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Good Fall Plot Choice?

I currently plant RR corn and beans with about 2 acres of clover for a total of about 8 acres.
I also have 2 great spots for "hunting" plots that I'm trying to decide what to plant in them. Deer move through these areas enroute to the larger mixed plot. I'm thinking about BFO's or similiar. I tried brasicas for a few years, and the deer really avoid them until everything else is gone. Also, is there a spring/summer crop that I can use in the smaller plots until I plant a fall crop of oats, etc?

Plant a mix of chicory, alfalfa, and clover or just one of those plants, deer will mow them down!!! We had a small hunting plot like an acre of this mix this past fall. We planted it in the spring and by opening day bowseason the deer mowed it to the ground!!!!

I like buckwheat for an inexpensive spring planting that deer really love. You might note from previous posts that rye is a much better option then oats for a fall planting.
Just till the buckwheat under perhaps around Labor Day and replant to rye for a fall/winter plot, repeat the process in the spring.
I can't argue with the alfalfa/chicory combo either!
smile.gif

Top Bottom