Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

good grief

muddy

Weather forcasts have me REALLY down... always on the 4th or 5th day out they tease you with that "possibility of snow" but move it back day after day...

Late season has been tough... again... might have to resort to early muzzy or even shotgun next year.
frown.gif

I have only been out once but I did see a lot of deer. Dad shot at a monster on xmas but missed him. Keep you head up Muddy!
grin.gif

Ditto, Muddy. I have been out 3 times now, skunked twice, saw some good deer once but couldn't get a shot. This weather is rediculous! I'm going to keep plugging away and hopefully stumble across one soon. The deer just are not moving into feeding areas until right at dark or after. Oh what I'd pay for some snow or a cold snap right now.

I've been muzzy hunting since 1996 after years of shotgun hunting, every year more and more people hunt the late season putting more pressure on the deer and it definately affects their behavior. And with this unseasonably warm weather they just aren't moving much.

In my area, Central Iowa I've seen hunting pressure this late season increase 10 fold the past 5 or 6 years.

That doesn't help much either.

I've seen 1 shooter buck 2 different times but offered no shot.

Pupster

I have been out this late season also and it has been tough. The fields that they should be in is not producing like I figured it would. There are plenty of turkeys using this field. I need some snow and cold weather soon.
cussing.gif
mad.gif

Aint much movin late season up here either. Its been balmy to say the least the past two weeks and any deer activity appears to be mostly nocturnal.

We need a good foot of the old white stuff and some high temps in the single digits and lows below zero.

It seems this happens every year, but I still keep buying that late muzzy tag. A bunch of cold and snow would really get me pumped up, but Im not holding my breath.
smirk.gif

I've hunted the late season 18 of the last 20 years and it hasn't been nearly as good as it used to be. It seems the weather just gets a few degrees warmer later every year. Most times when it does snow it just thaws then freezes again making it impossible to even sneak to your stand. I may just have to go early next year since I've had chances at some nice bucks then in the last few years.
crazy.gif

[ QUOTE ]
It's called Global Warming and it is going to only get worse...

[/ QUOTE ] I never believed in global warming but I'm beginning to think it may have some truth in it. I think the problem this year is an El Ninyo winter, I know the last one we had was just like this one. We'll see alot of snow when it does come but it won't be a killer cold winter from what I remember. Maybe I'll just shoot some does, at least they're visible.
crazy.gif

I don't have any time to get out, kinda mixed feelin's. Wish you guys had some good weather, but if it was in the teens with 10" of snow it'd be drive'n me nuts not being able to get out.
grin.gif

It's not just Iowa either; I've hunted hard almost every day for the last 2 weeks of bow season and am having a hard time. I'm still seeing groups of does but I haven't seen any horn in almost 2 weeks; and I know there are a lot of bucks around. The low in Topeka last night was 36 degrees...and that's just not gonna get er done.

[ QUOTE ]
It's called Global Warming and it is going to only get worse...

[/ QUOTE ]

You were not serious were you? You were joking right?

Due to the holidays and family commitments I have only been able to ML hunt three times. My first evening out I saw 19 deer move past me at 70 yards on their way to feed. Eight antlerless deer, and eleven bucks, one of which was a 150+ deer. I had him in my scope for several minutes and for some reason I decided to pass on him. After the deer had passed my position I started to rethink my decision and quickly ran down a heavy fence row and set up on these deer again. Once again I had this fine buck dead to rights and once again I decided to pass on him knowing there are more mature deer in this area than this buck.
crazy.gif
crazy.gif

I have been out twice since and have yet to see any horns. Further, I haven’t seen much deer movement at all until right at the end of legal shooting light. Now I realize we still have a number of days left to hunt, but I am thinking I made a huge mistake by not taking the nice buck earlier. Oh well, I am off work from now thru Jan. 10th, so hopefully I will use better judgment next time.
shrug[1].gif

Oh yes, and did I mention that I still have a bow tag to fill???
wall.gif

Yea we are late season bowhunting now with our muzzleloader tags and we need some cold snowy weather to push the deer back into the timbers after the gun hunters ran them all out
mad.gif
and the cold weather would make them feed and move more to keep up their body heat.

I will be out since I have two bow tags to fill.The weather for sat.& sun.isn't very promising.I will go out if it is a light rain or drizzle,but how of you will be out if it a heavier rain?

Actually I was serious. Don't want to hijack Muddy's post but it's interesting to watch home movies my dad shot of my family when I was a little kid 35-40 years ago. Our Iowa winters use to be WINTERS. We have movie clips of snow literally higher then the car in our driveway or ditches being so full of snow us kids could walk over the barbed wire fence. We haven't had that much cold and/or snow in at least 25 years.

I remember accumulated snow in late October and early November... now, lucky to have snow for Santas sleigh.

Top Bottom