Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Good or Bad Idea?

doublerack

Last weekend, I hung my first of what I'm guessing will be 5 total sets of stands. This particular set is on my girlfriends farm and I have never hunted it before. I have learned the lay of the land really well through shed hunting and aerial maps. I've seen really good sign as far as sheds, old rubs, trails, crossing points and the occasional cool summer day when you can spot a summer buck in the binocs. I don't have a trial cam yet only because I have the theory that if I'm going to buy one, I'm going to buy the best one there is.(usually they are the most expensive) My question is, since there are still two months until the season starts, Is there any problem with climbing in my stand at 4:30am just as if I were hunting and trade my bow for a camera?

I personally wouldn't want to be sitting in my stand educating the deer before the season. I'm sure some will tell you the deer would forget about it in a couple of months when the season opens but I wouldn't take the chance. If you feel good about the stand placement then stay out and hunt it when the time is right. JMO

I personaly wouldnt climb into my stands til season, no need to be that close. If your trying to get an idea whats out their you can set up an observation stand a safe distance away without educating the deer.

usually when we hunt new areas we do some scouting of the area from a ways away, then with new spots we move the stand around during season as we find hot trails and movement paths

Top Bottom