Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Good Processors

locust

Can anybody recommend a good processor in between the Washington/Iowa City area and the Quad Cities area? I currently go to Kramers in LaPorte City and it is great, but 4 hours out of the way. I like their sausage and the way they vacuum seal their burger/sausage.

Thanks all!

I had some from a locker in Kalona (SW of IC I think) once and it was awesome. I don't know if it is still there or not though.

I take my meat to Ruzikas in Solon. Great brats and sausage. Good folks too!!

Kalona Locker is no more!!! Some guy came in from Wis. and bought it.Then ran it in the ground! Talk about a gold mine gone to waste! I use Boyds in Washington and Ulrichs in Pella(the place that makes Pella Bologna). T$

Ruzicka's in Solon is where I take some meat to get sticks and salami made. Add pepper cheese and jalapenos and....
evil.gif

We take ours to Ulrichs in Pella, best place period in my opinion, but I am dutch so that may sway my opinion. Friend of mine uses Boyds in Washington and would have to say they are very good as well.

Giles locker in Cascade Iowa. you like it spicy? you like it hot? get their HotRods and have 'em put some jalopenos in them.

yum.
waytogo.gif

I got tired of $ and chasing around for a new place to take deer as one locker after another either closed or increased prices. We should start a deer processing forum.
smash.gif
Go buy a big role of paper and plastic from Fareway, some kind of meat grinder, a dehydrator and in short order you'll be controlling the whole thing from harvest to the end.
bootyshake.gif
doah.gif

I will not mention who I took my deer to last year.... let me just say they are in Cedar Rapids. I have been less than pleased.... should of taken it back. The jerky tastes like a black pepper shaker.... and the burger always has hair in it!! This place is suppose to have a great reputation for general meat, I just assumed that they would do a good job with the venison as well.... WRONG!!!!!!!
mad.gif

I'm with muddy on this one Giles in Cascade! The summer sausage with garlic is great. Also the Dakota deer sticks

I had one processed at the locker in Oran which is east of Waterloo. Probably some of the best jerky I've had, and the Deer Chili Dogs are totally addictive. As for the sausage, I'd have to say Ruzicka's in Solon. Definately get the jalepeno and pepper jack cheese combo.
beerchug.gif

CRITRGITR

Ruzika's. You even get a free hat. I can't remember if they gave 'em away last year or not. Every year was a different color. You could tell who had been successful from year to year. They do like to be paid in cash for deer processing and bring your own boxes too. They sell some things that are called Landsjagers or something like that. They look like old dried up coon turds when they have been feeding on berries but they are mighty good. They are a meat stick with rye and caraway and some other stuff. Muddy tasted one and turned green so you know real men would love em.

Anyway, Ruzika's in Solon
waytogo.gif

The 'Bonker

johnnies meat locker in davenport is where i take my deer meat to . they have great service and do an excellent job. they even give you a number for after hours which come in handy in the early months :
grin.gif

MN state law says i cant bring unprocessed deer across the state line this year. Where is a good processor in allamakee or winneshek sp?? I usaully butcher my own but might be a big pain the ass to try to do that this year.

buckinrut--Nah...us Dutch folk are known for our unbiased opinions on where to spend our money and what kind of food is "good food". We ain't cheap neither.
grin.gif

Anybody recommend anything in the Sioux City area?

locust, I too like the way Kramer's packages their sausage and sticks in vacuum sealed packaging. I've used other meat lockers where they use butcher paper and it doesn't seem to last as long in the freezer. Does Ruzika's in Solon use vacuum sealed packaging?

BiMo

Nope. It is so good it doesn't stay in the freezer that long!
busted.gif
busted.gif

They just use butcher paper and plastic in Solon. Giles in Cascade does however vacum pack the HotRods.

Top Bottom