Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Got a surprise tonight.

Situations are different but in most instances a renter would be renting/leasing (and paying for) only the crop ground not necessarily the whole "farm."

Say a farm is 200 acres total, 100 acres tillable and a 100 timber. Typically the tenant farmer is not renting/leasing the entire farm, only the tillable. They are leasing the 100 acres of crop ground.

Thus, regardless of the law and/or contract, they have no interest in the huntable land (timber) on the farm.

Like I said though, all situations are different, that is just an example of the common scenario around here.:drink1:

Situations are different but in most instances a renter would be renting/leasing (and paying for) only the crop ground not necessarily the whole "farm."

Say a farm is 200 acres total, 100 acres tillable and a 100 timber. Typically the tenant farmer is not renting/leasing the entire farm, only the tillable. They are leasing the 100 acres of crop ground.

Thus, regardless of the law and/or contract, they have no interest in the huntable land (timber) on the farm.

Like I said though, all situations are different, that is just an example of the common scenario around here.:drink1:
I agree. A friend of mine leases some ground that the owner leases the farming part to one person the pasture rights to another and the hunting rights to him

Have you actually confirmed the lease with the tenant? It wouldn't be the first time some outfitter tried to pull a fast one. Plus if you had a lease, even not a written one, I am thinking you have a minimum of 30 days to vacate after notice.
Check it out.

That totally sucks. I got thrown off my place last year, but thats because the owner was nuts. Still just sucks to be without a spot. The whole outfitting thing is really starting to bug me.

Good grief, that sucks man. Right before prime time you get the rug pulled out from under you. Pretty weak on the landowners part to not give you a heads up too since this probably wasn't a decision he made overnight.

Again - the $$. Another IA resident looses out to big $$ catering to the almighty dollar.

Seems to be some pretty shading dealing by Iowa Ridge Outfitters. While I have no problem with someone leasing land for any purpose in the "offseason", to come in after the season has started and someone else is already hunting it shows poor character. Are you sure about the name of the outfit? I googled it and nothing came up...got Hawkeye Ridge Outfitters, but nothing for Iowa Ridge Outfitters. I would like to know for sure so I can steer people I know that use outfitters away from someone that does business like that.

That sucks....makes upcoming elections all the more scary. I hate to see what things are gonna look like 10 years from now. Yikes.

Seems to be some pretty shading dealing by Iowa Ridge Outfitters. While I have no problem with someone leasing land for any purpose in the "offseason", to come in after the season has started and someone else is already hunting it shows poor character. Are you sure about the name of the outfit? I googled it and nothing came up...got Hawkeye Ridge Outfitters, but nothing for Iowa Ridge Outfitters. I would like to know for sure so I can steer people I know that use outfitters away from someone that does business like that.
Hawkeye Ridge Outfitters is the group that is monopolizing northeast Iowa. They are in Allamakee, Fayette, Clayton, and i believe Winisheik counties. They claim to be one of the best outfitters for whitetail in the nation. Don't tell them where you hunt in eastern Iowa; or you'll be paying them to hunt there the next year!

It is whitetail Ridge Outfitter

Outfitters are like a lot of building and remod contractors. They slap a sticker on their window and now they are experts and ready to take your money. Keep em' on the straight boys.

The thing about leasing, once you enter that game, don't complain when the next guy out bids ya. When hunting becomes business, a whole new set of rules apply IMO.

Last edited:
Whitetail Ridge Outfitters, I know one thing...Andy is pissing a lot of people off with his shady business. He's going to mess with the wrong person real soon and the rest is going to be history.

I wish the IRS or the DNR would pay this jackA$$ a visit...either that or the locals get him.

I had a run-in with him last year and he about tasted his teeth.

We need more outfitting in this State!

:moon::moon: So idiots cant kill a fly , can have Helen Keller lead them to a doe!! Wanna pay 3K for doe!!!!!!!! Let me know ! I own a little Land!!!!!!!!! :way: and thats about how it goes!!!! All about money!! Steve that sucks!! Wanna welcome him to Iowa?? Well... I've been in jail before!! Got alot a rest!! Just a thought Bro!!

Last edited:
:moon::moon: So idiots cant kill a fly , can have Helen Keller lead them to a doe!! Wanna pay 3K for doe!!!!!!!! Let me know ! I own a little Land!!!!!!!!! :way: and thats about how it goes!!!! All about money!! Steve that sucks!! Wanna welcome him to Iowa?? Well... I've been in jail before!! Got alot a rest!! Just a thought Bro!!

My sarcasm didn't catch I guess......:way: Yes I agree brother!

River 1...I agree with the statement of "once you enter the game". It's funny how the corelation between needing to recruit more young people to hunt and more limited and costly access to land go hand in hand. I wish all these companies that are making a good buck now would just look to countries like England and Germany and see what happens when only the wealthy have access to hunting ground!!!

I would make sure I walked every inch of that property while I was taking down my stands and made as much noise and spread as much scent as possible.

That sucks.

hmmm wonder if this is the same Andy that had a hand in the Tipton locker going to all cash for deer processing and a $75 deposit when you drop it off??? I heard he dropped 20+ deer off in December then never picked them up. That's what the guy at the locker told me.

Update

Well guys i went on the hunt for some ground to finish out bow season. Called some family i have in the anamosa area,figuring with the way things look like they are headed if you don't have family ties or deep pockets your not going to have ground. Got access on a very nice piece of ground near prairieburg and working on another piece south of anamosa. Let the work begin! Time to figure out a new timber. If anyone on here is from the area i would love to know where you think the rut is at. Been up there last few nites and haven't seen much rut activity.

Steve if worse comes to it! I have a little folk around I may hook ya up with! Closer to home!! May not kill a p&y every time! But! Ya might! :D

Top Bottom