Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Got my deer mount back today!

Yea, thats a really fast turn around time. Commercial tanners usually take longer then that. Is he pickle tanning?

Show us what this mount looks like in 5 years..., that will tell us all we need to know.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dc240nt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yea, thats a really fast turn around time. Commercial tanners usually take longer then that. Is he pickle tanning?

Show us what this mount looks like in 5 years..., that will tell us all we need to know.</div></div>

He doesn't send hides to a commercial tanner. He does it himself, and does a great job at it. Not sure what type of tanning method he uses though.....

Part of the reason he gets the deer done so quick is because he works 7 days a week this time of year, and knows what he's doing (very efficient)

As for the 5 years.....I've had deer mounted by him that are older than 5 years old now and they still look great. This one should be no different. If I keep my mounts in a good environment then there is no reason for them to look bad over time. If they did, I wouldn't return to him each year to mount my deer.

Hoch Taxidermy in my opinion is one of the best in the state! They did my buck from last season very quick and it is very quality work! I'll be going back to Jason and Marlin for years to come...

2-3 month turnaround time sounds reasonable for a taxidermist who does the work full-time. The taxidermist I used in 2007 received my buck on November 1st and had it back to me by February. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

iowaPete

Does he mount birds, fish, etc too or just deer, my taxi has about a year turnaround but he is doing hundreds of birds, fish, elk, you name it each year also on top of 150-175 deer per year.

F.Y.I. I have had a great turn around on a buck Hoch's did for me and it makes me sick when I see all the hair it is losing every week it is now 2 years old. I do keep it in a dark and climate control room so......Paid top dollar also$$$$$$$ The rest of my mounts in the same room do not lose hair?
Also got charged over $200 on a euro mount with a simple plaque (boiled then spray painted white..it now looks terrible!!)
Don't take this personal this is just MY experience.

4bucks191- did you try bringing them back? I know if a taxidermist did something and it did not turn out right- I'd be right back there- if they screwed up- they should buy a new cape and re-do it free.
I don't know this taxidermist BUT I have never heard of one who wouldn't make a mistake right! If someone WOULD NOT make right on a wrong- that's when I'd post something on every site (and someone would be justified taking $450 OR WHATEVER to small claims court to make it right- I'm sure most folks would make it right though!). Hope you get your mount fixed up right!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 4bucks191</div><div class="ubbcode-body">F.Y.I. I have had a great turn around on a buck Hoch's did for me and it makes me sick when I see all the hair it is losing every week it is now 2 years old. I do keep it in a dark and climate control room so......Paid top dollar also$$$$$$$ The rest of my mounts in the same room do not lose hair?
Also got charged over $200 on a euro mount with a simple plaque (boiled then spray painted white..it now looks terrible!!)
Don't take this personal this is just MY experience. </div></div>

slippage is something that happens to the best of taxidermists. A slippage problem is usually caused by the care of the deer before you get to the taxi.

Great looking mount, that is one to display proudly.

Congrats again on a great buck!!! Mount looks great!

I have to agree with sureshot...Marlin does great work and because he does taxidermy full time he has a great turn around rate...I now have 4 deer heads 1 ram 1 boar and a turkey mounted by marlin the oldest head is about 7 years old now. All of my mounts look like they just left the taxidermy shop!

Here is my final product that i got back mid January

Taxidermy_0211.jpg

Taxidermy_001.jpg

Top Bottom