Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Got the Boot

turkeyman29

The owner of the only piece of private ground that I have permission to hunt told me today I can't go out for the next 9 days because he's letting someone else hunt it. I'm a little annoyed since I've done all the scouting and hung most of the stands. With 4 days off coming up do I wing it and quick scout some public land? If so what are your suggestions for doing that this time of year?

There were some really good bucks on that private ground....hopefully they'll be there when I get back out there.....

Well I'd be studying topo maps and find a little hidey hole of public somewhere. Another option is push your 4 days back until you can hunt again but the woods is rocking right now.

I would hunt what you can for the next nine days but i think you will still get some good hunting in once those 9 days are up.

It is some drama but I guess where do I draw the line in pursuit of some nice deer.

I'm in the Des Moines area. Lots of public ground around which makes finding a spot kind of dizzying. I'm also worried about everybody and their brother being out there due to the large metro area.

If ya can't hunt, go take your stands down. That's not hunting....

Leave your stands up, wait your nine days and kill the buck your after. Sucks to get kicked out this time of year but like I posted earlier there will still be great action in 9 days.

If you have some python locks go lock all of your stands up so the platform will not come down for anyone to hunt them. This way they have to scout for themselves during those days and possibly won't wear out some of your better spots. I'm just too selfish to let anyone reap the benefit of my scouting and prep time. I hope you get a good one!

I get the boot every year around rut. Sucks but after a few years I'm used to it. Got to drop back to a lesser property and public

Hunt the des moines river bottoms from the North end of saylorville lake all the way up to boone. Plenty of spots to get away from the crowd.

Liv4Rut said it right, drive out towards Boone/ledges and you'll get away from the pressure. Check out the DNR hunting atlas and find a spot you can walk in a ways. I'd take a portable stand, look for a good rub line/scrape line and setup on it.

Hunt the des moines river bottoms from the North end of saylorville lake all the way up to boone. Plenty of spots to get away from the crowd.

X2 on this. Some good hunting up there and even better if you are willing to walk in deep!

Top Bottom